Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative powder for IMR 4756

Jason Beaver

I have been loading IMR 4756 in 38 Super Comp for my Brazos Pro Sx with the local sportsmans warehouse closing I have no source for that powder. Bob recommended 4756 and N105 for this gun. Is anyone loading any other powder for this particular setup? Need some other options.

Powder Valley has IMR4756 in stock. PV's website

IMR4756-01 * IMR SR 4756 - 1 LB Yes $17.65

IMR4756-04 * IMR SR 4756 - 4 LBS. Yes $62.90

IMR4756-08 * IMR SR 4756 - 8 LBS. Yes $115.00

Get together with others and place a bulk order. You can mix and match powders in the same overpack up to 50lbs for 1 HAZMAT chg. HAZMAT and shipping works out to approx $1 a pound at that quantity.

Something else to keep in mind is with the lot to lot variation that 4756 is known for it would not be a bad idea to purchase a couple years worth in 1 sitting. I've been known to order as many as 5 8lb'ers at a time for myself :ph34r: .

Bob is good with 3n38 also. You can get some huge fireballs though and that can be distracting.

4756 is a great powder and it's relatively cheap. I use it for practice in my 38SC guns and I load 105 for matches even though I honestly can't tell much of a difference unless I shoot them back to back.

Something else to keep in mind is with the lot to lot variation that 4756 is known for it would not be a bad idea to purchase a couple years worth in 1 sitting. I've been known to order as many as 5 8lb'ers at a time for myself :ph34r: .

Scott I ordered a large qty from PV Friday so I sould be set for awhile. I really like this powder and didn"t want to change.

Thanks for your help!!