Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magazine capacity question

boo radley

I'm sorry -- it's still not clear to me, and I'd like to get a specific understanding of the rule....

E. Be loaded to the division capacity of eight (8) rounds in the

magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Should division

capacity not be achievable because of lower magazine

capacity, load should be to maximum mechanical capacity of

magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Competitors

must use the same capacity magazines through out the

competition (Example: if you start with a 7 round magazine,

you must use that capacity magazine throughout the match).

The way I read that rule, if I start with a 7 round mag, I'd better have nothing BUT 7-round mags. Downloading an 8-round mag to 7 doesn't strike me as 'the same capacity magazine(s)", but I might be mistaken.

A shooter shows up at an IDPA major match with 1 x 7-round mag and 2 x 8-round magazines. Which -- if any/all -- is correct?:

1) If he uses the 7-round mag in a stage, he may use his 8-round mags, provided they're downloaded to 7.

2) If he uses the 7-round mag, he can't use anything but 7-round magazines.

3) Since he clearly has both 7 AND 8-round magazines, he should just use the 8-round magazines.

3a) He should only start with 8-round mags, but it's still ok to use that 7-round mag as a barney mag, or for reloads.

What I'm getting at, is I see matches where an even round-count is an advantage. Sure I know this can be corrected by course design, but can I legally bring *one* magazine of lower capacity and download the rest? Thx

If you start with a particular capacity magazine in the gun, let us say a 7-rounder, then every succeeding magazine you use in the match must also contain seven rounds, whether you're using 7-rounders or dowloading 8s, either is acceptable. Same concept applies in ESP: you can start with a 9-round magazine in a 9mm or .38 Super 1911, then use either/or more 9s or 10s downloaded to nine thereafter.