Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does your club/range know anything about your state's

I am a member of one club here in southwestern Illinois. They just started a forestry program with the state. The real estate taxes were running $1,800 a year. Later this year, the taxes will drop down to just $56.

The other perk to this forestry program is that if some developer is looking through the land documents at the courthouse figuring out what is the next piece of land to buy up and put a golf course subdivision on ( :angry2: ), your club's land is locked out of that use for 10 or 20 years because of that forestry program.

Anywhooo... just to put the bug in you all's ears.

B)

The other perk to this forestry program is that if some developer is looking through the land documents at the courthouse figuring out what is the next piece of land to buy up and put a golf course subdivision on ( :angry2: ), your club's land is locked out of that use for 10 or 20 years because of that forestry program.

That is BRILLIANT!

Funny how commonly we hear of "new neighbors" seeking to shut down our venues even though they were aware (or should have been aware) of our activities well in advance of buying/building next to a club. That happened to a club where I used to shoot pins (Deep Run Rifle & Revolver in Maryland).

I am not making any comment about who such "new neighbors" typically are - although I would love to see the look on their faces when they are told that they can't shut down a shooting range because its protected by an environmental program! :cheers:

I am a member of one club here in southwestern Illinois. They just started a forestry program with the state. The real estate taxes were running $1,800 a year. Later this year, the taxes will drop down to just $56.

Anywhooo... just to put the bug in you all's ears.

B)

On a related note, if your club owns land that is in timber or a cover crop, you may be able to sell the "carbon credits" and bring in a few extra dollars each year for doing what you were doing already. Basically, how it works is you simply agree to keep the land in trees/pasture/etc for 5 years, and you receive a check once a year. In most states you can contact your state Farm Bureau for more information. I'm working with some of my cotton customers to sign up their no till acres for the program. It may be a little PC for your taste, but if someone will send you money for simply growing trees or grass on your land, why not take it?