Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1300 for Heavy Metal. Cheaper than Nova.

want2race

This is for anyone else who may be interested in finding a viable alternative (to the Nova) for Heavy Metal.

I shopped for a pump for months. I wanted a 21-22 inch barrel and wanted it to be as cheap as possible. I don't like how stock 870 actions lock up (pull back on pump, pull trigger, action does NOT open). Same with Mossy's. True, the Scattergun Tech guns open upon firing, but they're not cheap.

I thought if I could find a Nova cheap enough I'd just cut and rethread the barrel. Couldn't find one cheap enough. I kept getting stories about $250 Nova's but I couldn't find any.

Researched the 1300 speed pump. Hmm. Even heard that if you shoot it without your hand on the pump, the action will open. Fellow 3 gunners say that Nova's reload the fastest, but I was willing to give the 1300 a shot (because I'm cheap). Started the search for a Winchester Black Shadow (has a 22" VR barrel). Auctions kept going over $290. Every gun I'd find listed for a good price, was already SPF. I finally found a lightly used Turkey model with a 22" VR barrel on GB. Bad pic, not much info on auction. Price was right, $225 shipped.

Condition: As expected, it was a bit rough. Action was REALLY rough, and dry. Light surface rust, but no etching of metal after it was cleaned. Dead spider in chamber. Tore it down and cleaned it. Cleaned up VERY nice. There are few "tree marks" on the receiver but nothing major. While apart I dehorned the loading area a bit.

I added a +4 Choate tube and it's nearly flush with the muzzle. Added a Hi-Viz FO front sight. Test fired with 00 Buck, 1oz slugs, my HD load: 2 3/4 #4 Turkey load and Federal 100 round pack #8 shot. I LOVE this thing! So smooth and so fast. And yes, if you shoot it one handed the action will open, the empty will eject and the next round will release onto the lifter. Nice.

I can't wait to actually shoot it in a match.