Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a good 9 major load for Shuemann 5 port hybrid

Freddie the Swede

the powder choice is Vitavhouri of some sort. (can't get much else here).

I know that I have limited myself a bit when I got the 5 port Schuemann barrel but the price was soo right that I could not resist.

I have a Bedell Ti comp on the end of the 5.5" barrel as well. Will cut of the last side port of neccesary.

Anyone who has experience of this barrel comp combo with Vitavhori Powders??

I thinking loading the rounds pretty long and using a little freebore to keep the pressure down.

Thanks

Fredrik

Edited by Freddie the Swede

I know that I have limited myself a bit when I got the 5 port Schuemann barrel but the price was soo right that I could not resist.

I have a Bedell Ti comp on the end of the 5.5" barrel as well. Will cut of the last side port of neccesary.

I thinking loading the rounds pretty long and using a little freebore to keep the pressure down.

Thanks

Fredrik

My gun is not identical to your's (I have Schuemann 4 port barrel with 3 chamber progressive comp with an extra hole on each side of the comp into the last chamber) but here is my load.

I run 9 Major loads utilizing 124 gr MG JHP with VV N-350 (around 7.5 gr) and now using Winchester Small Pistol Magnum Primers. The OAL is 1.195" and velocity earlier today was around 1376 fps (170.6 PF). Temperature was 58 degrees F and elevation is about 120' above sea level.

In the past I always used small rifle primers but those are impossible to find. To see if they would work, I loaded some rounds with small pistol primers and saw no indications of primer smearing or signs of gas blowing past the primer. Then I was unable to find small pistol primers and decided to try small pistol magnum primers. Lots of those available and I was able to pickup 20K. With the magnum primers all appears to be working well.

Bill

Thanks a lot, Now I can go ahead and talk to my smith about fitting the barrel.

As this is a long time project I will keep my eyes open for another barrel but if I don't find one I will go ahead and fit the one I have.

As I have five ports I think that my velocity will be a little lower but that will be not be an issue as the PF in IPSC is 160 and not 165 as in USPSA.

Many thanks for the info and I do appriciate your time and data.

If i get to many problems with the 9 major project I can always ream out the chamber to 38 super. :yawn:

//Fredrik

Thanks

Fredrik

My gun is not identical to your's (I have Schuemann 4 port barrel with 3 chamber progressive comp with an extra hole on each side of the comp into the last chamber) but here is my load.

I run 9 Major loads utilizing 124 gr MG JHP with VV N-350 (around 7.5 gr) and now using Winchester Small Pistol Magnum Primers. The OAL is 1.195" and velocity earlier today was around 1376 fps (170.6 PF). Temperature was 58 degrees F and elevation is about 120' above sea level.

In the past I always used small rifle primers but those are impossible to find. To see if they would work, I loaded some rounds with small pistol primers and saw no indications of primer smearing or signs of gas blowing past the primer. Then I was unable to find small pistol primers and decided to try small pistol magnum primers. Lots of those available and I was able to pickup 20K. With the magnum primers all appears to be working well.

Bill