Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cool (and cheap) timer alternative works for dry fire

tzahoy

Well, I'm pretty much a newb to action related pistol sports, but have been shooting bullseye and informal PPC for over 20 years. I wanted a timer, but was put off by the price but knew it would be a valuable tool. Well, I stumbled across a program called gun timer for the pocket PC. I installed it on my phone and was testing it out during the free trial period and it works like a charm!

I was using it for drills with my air pistol, when I thought wait a minute, I wonder if it works for dry fire? I had to turn the sensitivity up a bit, but no problem! I then tried some reloading drills and it works for that too, but says I fired 14 shots. Turns out it picked up the full moonclip hitting the cylinder, and the cylinder shutting. Hmm, could be another data point for judging reload speed.

Anyway, I paid for the full version and for $15 I'm stoked! If you've got a phone that runs windows mobile, try it out! In my searching I noticed Surefire just released a similar app for the iPhone. Probably the only shortcoming I've noticed is the beep is limited by the volume of the speaker in the phone, but it seems most people have electronic muffs these days. Besides 95% of my use will be dry fire and air pistol practice.

Link to the product: http://www.guntimer.com/ui/home/home.aspx

I helped somewhat in beta testing and suggesting features that action-pistol type shooters would want. I'm almost embarrased to say I haven't had time to use it much since it went gold, but it has a ton of features, including the ability to export your results so you can play with them in your favorite spreadsheet or database.

The speaker on my PPC is loud enough for practice, and usable, but not like a real timer. My amplified headphones have an input jack for a radio, I plan to make a cable from my pocketpc's headphone jack into my headphones and see how that works out.