Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS 9 or 45?

ajbarr

What are people's thoughts on shooting 9 mm for single stack? I would think less recoil and larger capacity would be a huge advantage despite the point reduction for shooting minor.

Just wondering what people think.

Thanks

I LOVE THE 9mm for several reasons .....

Can the 1911 be shot by small hands in double stack gun?

A local younster ran the steel course this week-end with 160gr 9mm SS 1911.

I have some more bullets ordered for him with some 170 gr samples.

Any one have some loading data?

This year BJN shot minor at nationals - 5th. SO did Kay Miculek - 55th, and 3 other shooters in the top 100.

Steve - the problem with minor 45 is capacity - shooting minor, you can have 10 in a mag, but it still has to fit in the box. 9/38 is the only size I know of capable of still fitting in the box with a 10 round mag.

Someday I'll have a 9mm SS gun, but for now, 45 is fun :D

I've shot the Single Stack Classic many times in the past years. Sometimes there will be one stage where having 10 rounds might save you a reload, but there is so much Hard Cover and No Shoots Minor is not practical unless you are a very.. very good shot. BJ did well this year, but I wonder how he would of done shooting Major instead. Like many I find the .40 to be softer with less torque than the .45 so I'm staying with the .40. Now if they start to allow 38 Supercomp as major that may be a different story.

At our local matches there doesn't seem to be as much Hard Cover or No Shoots covering the targets. Don't anybody tell Gary Stevens I said that though. :D