Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Par Time Dry Firing

Bill Schwab

I know this has been said before (I know by Steve Anderson), but I'm so excited I have to repeat it.

After reading Sam Conway's book (mentioned in another thread) I decided to make my dry firing sessions a bit more intense by using the par time function on my Pact MKIV. I've been doing this for just over a week, just about every day, for an hour a day. I dry fire at a given par time for five reloads or draws, then reduce the time by 0.05 seconds, 5 more, repeat and repeat until I can't beat the time.

Let me preface this by saying that I've been having difficulty reducing my reload times. Monthes ago I set a goal to reduce my reload times by 0.2-0.3 seconds before the end of this season. Last week when I started this par time dry firing I was a skeptic, but now in one week I've reduced my dry fire reloads by 0.15-0.2 seconds and I've learned exactly what my reloads need to feel like for it to be smokin'.

I started last week bottoming out on my reloads at 1.35 seconds (obviously this includes reaction time), just now I was hitting 60% of the 1.2 second par times. :huh:

My draw times are coming down too, it's so sweet trying something new and having instant results. :D

All I can say if hallelujah, I have seen the light.

That is so cool.

Try the one I stole from Matt Burkett. (Actually, he gave it away :))

Set a par at .7 or so.

Empty (no mag) gun on target

At the beep, hit the button and bring the mag JUST to the magwell, with eyes on the point of entry.

You can get this down too.

It's great for reinforcing that if you didn't see the magwell, you got lucky.

SA

BTW, don't expect your live fire times to be the same as your dry fire times. They will improve, but they won't be the same for awhile. Mine are just now getting there after 1.5 yrs on the regime.