Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Scoring Sacrsanct?

Patrick Sweeney

My first suggestion would be to move to the classic target. That might lead to another thing that would be beneficial to the sport: USPSA becoming more socially acceptable.

Barring that, if the move is to make minor hits worth less in Production, competitors should be given the option to shoot major loads and NOT be penalized for it (ie scored major).

The main flaw I see with moving the entire scoring scale down in minor is that while everyone shooting production is on level ground, the production shooters are out of the running for any HOA awards.

Classic target should be the first possible move, B minor 4 should be the second.

A slight detour through the wayback machine: Jeff Cooper determined that the center should score the same for all relevant calibers because "a center hit is a center hit" I've asked him on this personally. (Advantages of being old and early.)

I ask because the manifestation was the nearly out of control Lim10 shooters. But the crux of the problem is the disconnect between performance and shootability, and scoring of Major/Minor. The fact that we take as a given that Minor is beyond the pale as an option proves the scored disproportionately advantages Major.

Whether that disconnect is based in reality in terminal ballistics is another question entirely.

Since the whole world is going to .40 (or back to the .45) and the 9mm will die a lingering death of obsolesence :blink: its all a moot point. Or is it?