Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Someone hacked into my Google Map

Steve J

:angry2:

Some scum hacked into my Google map Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches and changed the underlying code on at least one active link (the link to the Dallas Pistol Club) so it would redirect you to a malware site. It even did it after I deleted the active link, closed out, reopened and typed the club's URL by hand. I hate it, but I guess I'll have to go in and remove all the active links.

Hackers suck.

Beware of active links on Google maps and I guess any other Google product.

ETA: Ok, I deleted ALL the active links. The URLs are still listed, but you now have to copy/paste to your browser. This is NOT what I wanted to be doing this morning, but I won't be a party to hurting anyone trying to find a match.

By the way, Thanks Carina for alerting me to the problem.

Edited by Steve J

Parasitism drives evolution. I suppose you can look at it in terms of the way the universe is structured in an odd way. Also as a commentary on character. I expect a tapeworm gets pretty upset when you try to get rid of it. After all it's just trying to make a living! It has NO IDEA what it is! I see lots of people making choices about what they support and thus what they become, unconsciously. Being a parasite is a legitimate way to be in the world. It IS a "niche" in an ecological sense. Personally, one of the reasons I like hanging around with shooters is, as a group there are few, if any of that sort. Don't hate them, it's not worth the expenditure of energy. Don't suffer them either. If you free your heart of hatred, you can become an agent of karma. Think of seeing a purse snatcher running away and all you have to do is stick your foot out. Things just seem to take care of themselves after that! :mellow:

I suppose you can give Google the benefit of the doubt. Their company principles include the admonishment, "Don't be evil". Tell the security department at Google about it. Think of it as helping your immune system develop an antigen to a parasitic microbe. There are some "wicked smart" kids out there that recognize the value of ethical behavior, I'm lucky to know some. Turn em' loose on the guy and find another way to invite people to come play!!

Sorry that happened to you.

"Reality is SO much weirder than ANYTHING you can make up!!"