Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite Match/Docter-Fastfire Base

rickn54

I am looking to install a Docter or Fastfire in place of the adjustable rear sight on my EAA Elite Match 45. Does anyone know where I can get such a mount, or what sight cut EAA used on these pistols. Possibly another base would interchange? Thanks

Good luck on your quest. Do you have the supersight or the newer small LPA rear sight? Mine has the LPA sight and the rear dovetail is an odd size. I tried to find out the dovetail size from EAA and Tanfoglio without any success. I finally measured it myself and this is my best guess: .140" deep, .464" wide with the sides cut at approximately a 70 degree angle. This is considerably larger than any other semiauto I could find with one exception: the Ruger Mk I/II/III target pistols have a dovetail approximately .550" wide; however, the dovetail is shallower being only about .090" deep. I'm in the process of modifying a Millett Ruger rear sight to fit my Witness but it will require silver soldering a pad on the bottom of the sight base and then removing about .010" from the sides of the dovetail base to make it fit. I've done this before on other pitols and it's not that tough using a Dremel tool and frequently checking for fit. I don't know if Docter or Fastfire make a Ruger mount but if they do that will be your best bet. Alternatively, you can get your friendly gunsmith to make a mount from scratch.

Good luck on your quest. Do you have the supersight or the newer small LPA rear sight? Mine has the LPA sight and the rear dovetail is an odd size. I tried to find out the dovetail size from EAA and Tanfoglio without any success. I finally measured it myself and this is my best guess: .140" deep, .464" wide with the sides cut at approximately a 70 degree angle. This is considerably larger than any other semiauto I could find with one exception: the Ruger Mk I/II/III target pistols have a dovetail approximately .550" wide; however, the dovetail is shallower being only about .090" deep. I'm in the process of modifying a Millett Ruger rear sight to fit my Witness but it will require silver soldering a pad on the bottom of the sight base and then removing about .010" from the sides of the dovetail base to make it fit. I've done this before on other pitols and it's not that tough using a Dremel tool and frequently checking for fit. I don't know if Docter or Fastfire make a Ruger mount but if they do that will be your best bet. Alternatively, you can get your friendly gunsmith to make a mount from scratch.

Dave, I was hoping to find one that would fit it that I could buy without going to alot of expense. If I cannot find one I will either contact Evolution Guns Works and have them custom build one or buy an Aredondo adapter and mount it directly to the slide, replacing the rear sight. Rick

Edited by rickn54

• 1 month later...

burris.JPG

Dave, I was hoping to find one that would fit it that I could buy without going to alot of expense. If I cannot find one I will either contact Evolution Guns Works and have them custom build one or buy an Aredondo adapter and mount it directly to the slide, replacing the rear sight. Rick

Problem resolved by local gunsmith.

That looks very interesting. I've used the "tube type" red dots on rifles and pistols but not the Docter type. How well does it work compared to iron sights? Did your smith make a custom base for the sight or just attach it directly to the slide?

Edited by ammodave

That looks very interesting. I've used the "tube type" red dots on rifles and pistols but not the Docter type. How well does it work compared to iron sights? Did your smith make a custom base for the sight or just attach it directly to the slide?My local gunsmith installed the Burris using an adapter plate from Arredono's. I have had good luck using the Burris sights on several of my handguns.