Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data for Ranier 200 gr. RN

Corjyn

Hey great gurus of wisdom:

I have a Kimber Target Eclipse .45, 5" Government model 1911.

I'm trying to find a good start for loading 200 gr. RN from Ranier, I have Bullseye powder on hand but I would change if recommended.

I keep scrolling through the forums and it seems the majority of 1911 shooters prefer a 230 gr. with clays for a softer recoil, forgive my ignorance and being very green at ballistics. Wouldn't a lighter grain round with less powder provide a more manageable recoil between transitions?

Thanks in advance for the input.

John

I'd think Bullseye would work, but I don't have any recipes. As far as bullet weight, heavier bullet with a fast powder feels softer to a lot of people, myself included. It takes more energy (i.e. more powder, bigger boom) to push a lighter bullet to the same power factor as a heavier one. The extra powder creates more "thrust", translating to more felt recoil. It comes down to personal preference though. Some like the snappier feel of lighter bullets while others like the slower "shove" of a heavier bullet. A 230 grain bullet with 4.0 Clays is a popular load in this game. With a 200 grain bullet, I might go a little slower, maybe Universal Clays.