Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how do you do a bedding job??

gingerbreadman

My old .270 browning belgium bbr had a accident and snapped the stock in half at the reciever, I called up a old school teacher of mine and he pieced it back together with resine or fiberglass or some such stuff, the stock looks like krap but at least the gun is shootable.....the gun was free floated i think before and shot 1/2 groups all day long at 100 yards.....but now it is bouncing all over the paper, i cheaked barrel to stock clearance with a sheet of paper and it is infact touching in several places, before the accident the paper would slide freely right down to the reciever......

what is "free floating"???

what is "bedding"???

how many types of bedding jobs are there?

what did this gun have before the accident?

and how do i go about fixing the bedding to bring the accuracy back in my very first rifle???

thanks guys......

great forumn

-gbm-

Gingerbreadman,

You aren't asking a simple question (or questions). There are a lot of different bedding schemes (A LOT). It sounds pretty clear that the barrel of your rifle was free floated before, and now it's touching in the barrel channel and needs to be floated again. IMHO the best option would be to recut the barrel channel to free float the barrel and then glass/epoxy bed the action to keep things solid.

The glass bedding process is easily within the capabilities of most amateur gunsmiths, but complete directions are probably beyond the limits of this forum. There are lots of good instructions out there. I would recommend "Do-it-yourself Gunsmithing" by Jim Carmichel. It's an old book but has a really nice explanation of how to glass bed a rifle.

However, that book only covers very basic glass bedding. It doesn't cover things like pillar bedding. Brownells has some technical bulletins on their website that address some details of other bedding systems. The Brownells glass bedding kits also have pretty good instructions with them.

I've used Brownells' bedding kits on several (about 7 now) rifles with good success.

Cheers,