Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major .40 w/ TG questions

Mattog22

Well, I didn't get back and read this thread and already bought a Chrony Beta master, the one with the LED remote. I guess I'll see how it works for me. Too many problems and I will just take it back. I really wasn't trying to spend too much, I also upgraded to a progressive press today so I really didn't have the money to get the chronograph I got but I just couldn't reload anymore without one. Especially since I started shooting in matches. I am going to go out and chronograph some loads tomorrow and see where I'm at. Thanks for the help.

Matt

Well, I didn't get back and read this thread and already bought a Chrony Beta master, the one with the LED remote. I guess I'll see how it works for me. Too many problems and I will just take it back. I really wasn't trying to spend too much, I also upgraded to a progressive press today so I really didn't have the money to get the chronograph I got but I just couldn't reload anymore without one. Especially since I started shooting in matches. I am going to go out and chronograph some loads tomorrow and see where I'm at. Thanks for the help.

Matt

I had an F-model Chrony for years, till a buddy accidently shot it with an AR, they let me trade it in on a Gamma Chrony with the balistic printer wich is nice, It has a lot more features than the F-model, and I haven't really gotten familiar with it yet. It definately has a bit of a learning curve. I also have a Pact Mk-IV timer, and figure I'll eventually get around to buying the skyscreens and trying it out one of these days, it's just not high on my priority list. JDBraddy

Well, took the chrony out and my .40w/ tightgroup

165gr Winchester fmj

5.0gr TG

1.12 OAL

b/w 990-1020 fps

I guess I will have to bump it up to 5.1 or 5.2 to ensure major. I also loaded some 115gr fmj with 9mm nato powder. They were going 1100fps but I noticed unburnt powder all over my arms and in the gun so I guess I need a better crimp. The crimp I had was very light.

Edited by Mattog22

Went back out today. Chrono'd the 165gr with 5.1 and 5.2 gr of TG

5.1 gr ~ 1010-1030

5.2 gr ~ 1020-1040

FWIW 5.4gr at 1035fps is listed as the max in Speer's #13

Edited by Mattog22