Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wildfires

bountyhunter

And speaking of weather from hell..... it really is just like hell when the wildfires run. The stretch of severely hot and dry weather we just had killed and dryed all the plants... so we were set up for a fire. The one burning out of control right now is in the Santa Cruz area (maybe 20 miles from here). Yesterday it burned out of control driven by high wids and low humidity. Today, God gave the firefighters an on shore wind which cooled temperatures a little and raised the humidity to about 40%. At least they have a shot now at getting it under control.

The downside is we are dead downwind and the air here is so toxic right now I can't go outside. I tried to walk the dog but didn't get 50 feet before my eyes were burning like tear gas was in them. The whole outside has that dull orange look I only remeber from LA on the really bad days. There is also an acidic smell of burning rubber or plastic that chokes you when you try to breathe. Hope it's over soon.

Edited by bountyhunter

Hope it gets better soon for you and your family, I'll keep you in my prayers

Kevin

The prayers must be working. I woke up today to see cold temps (60 degrees) and grey skies.... and it even rained a little bit an hour ago. I have no idea where the cold and rain came from, it was not in the forecast.

But it knocked the stink and smoke out of the air and it's got to be helping the firefighters. Hopefully that will let them get on top of the fire.

Thanks, the wind shift has our area stinking a lot less than it was, but the fire is being a real beeatch to kill. It's only 30% contained right now. I didn't realize the clouds and rain meant they had to ground the planes and choppers they were using to dump retardants and water until the visibility improved. They say that it may be knocked down by Wednesday.