Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Annual High Country Steel Shoot Out

Man, today is the day! Actually the match is tomorrow, but we'll be leaving at 03:00 to arrive on time. Why would anybody drive 10 hours round trip to shoot for 60 seconds? Well for starters, the guy who runs the match does such a great job that I would hate myself for the rest of the year if I missed it.

Forum members Ron Ankney and John Dunn will be there. (that alone is worth the drive and cost of admission.) This is the 4th annual match. This year, open guns will be allowed for the first time. Now, there are divisions for cowboy single actions, open blasters, limited guns, and revolvers. Most of the match is steel poppers plates at moderate distances. You get two runs only, and no throw ways. I expect to see some smokin' fast runs! High Country Shoot Out? No exagerration, the range is somewhere above 7,000 ft elevation and the scenery is stunningly beautiful. The last two years weather from all four seasons made brief appearances. Bring your gloves, bring your tee shirts and sun screen but, bring your Denali gear too. The temperature at starting time is expected to be near freezing, with sun and high 70's by mid-day. Another cool thing, you never know who might show up. Last year two Gunsite instructors just happened to be in the state on a teaching assignment. I got to squad with one of them, what a treat! Good times coming!