Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Barrel In A 40 Caliber Sti Eagle 5.0

ERIC

Last time I was at the range, I ran into a guy who was shooting a STI Eagle 5.0. I was curious to see what he thought of the gun and started asking him questions. He told me he shoots major with it and switches to a 38 super barrel when he shoots steel matches. The only thing he changes is the barrel and he uses 38 super magazines. He's been doing this for 3 years without any problems. Has anyone else tried something like this?

I always thought it wouldn't work because of the breech face. This guy didn't even change the ejector or extractor. Gunsmiths tell me this can't work and that guy is just lucky, but they never tried it and are not willing to try it.

I didn't have a chance to see it in action because the guy was packed up and on his way out when I started talking to him.

I bought a used STI Eagle about 6 months ago and it was a .40 cal but it came with a 38 super barrel also. The guy I bought it from said it worked great with both, he was right about the .40 but I never tried the .38 super I just sold it.

I had a customer some years ago who had a beautiful Clark-converted Super. converted to .38 Special. The problem was, he wanted to shoot in the local league, with six-shot stirngs, and the $75 magazines only held five. I crossed my fingers and installed a Bar-sto Super barrel, and a new Super extractor. The gun ran fine. (Minor loads only!)

I can only surmise that the tight chamber kept the empty case on track to the ejector long enough for the extractor to hang on until the empty left the gun.

Yours might work, but there are no guarantees.