Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WW630 in 38 super

Gwhiz

Guest Dick W Holliday

i've got WW books from that period and actually have some 630 myself.......if you'll let me know which bullet you're shooting i'll get back to you.......Dick

The Speer #10 manual lists 630.  It appears to be right in between Blue Dot and IMR 4227 in burn rate.  What weight, and what PF are you contemplating?  At approximately 600 rounds per pound of powder, its worth it for practice, but don't get too used to it as a match load, as you'll likely never see any 630 again.

I'm planning on using bullets in the 125 to 130 grain weight. Both lead and jacketed.  PF 150 to 165, whatever an upper book load turns out to be. This is intended just for a practice load, I've got a match load with HS-7.

I am looking at working up a load with SP2 for the 125 jacketed bullet also. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

I recommend that you practice only with your match load.

Race car drivers take practice laps in their race-day cars, not in their family sedan, or even in one of the competitor's cars.

Baseball players practice hitting with their game bats, not with some special "practice only" bat.

I think you'll screw up your results (if you are practicing seriously for competition) by changing loads around. You are trying to pay attention to how the gun behaves when you shoot, how your sights track, how your body is best used to put each shot on-target, how reliable your load is over hundreds or thousands of round, how your equipment functions  in general.

Can't do that if you change loads between practice and matches.

If you are building basic accuracy skills (bullseye/target shooting: align sights, activate trigger without upsetting sight picture, repeat), then you might get away with changing loads.

However, I always consider that you should practice as you compete.

Just because you have cheap/free powder doesn't mean you should use it for any serious practice.

Guest Dick W Holliday

ok dude here ya go....1975 Winchester manual..........

one load showing....10 gr 130FMC 1160 FPS

Even older 1970 Speer Manual  (Damn i've been doing this a long time) still haven't learned anything

11.0 gr 125 jsp   1201 fps

12.0 gr 125gr jsp 1283 fps

if i were you i'd probably start with the max load and go from there since i would be sure that you have a supported barrel....when these loads were put together there was no such thing as a supported 38 super barrel......i looked on the red blue and yellow can i have it was called 630P .......Dick