Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 17 guiderod and recoil spring

slickrick

The Search function is your friend, in fact there is a long thread on this subject in the Glock forum.

Here is one. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58805

Just remember you are shooting Production in IPSC, most folks here are shooting Production in USPSA, rule might be different.

Welcome to the forums. :cheers:

Bruce

edited to add link.

Edited by bruce282

I believe steel is better than plastic simply because steel can not break. A piece of the plastic rod chipped and broke off in my 21 and could've tied up the gun. I believe the Glock is the best thing going but sights and guide rods have no business being made of plastic.

Dave Sinko

hi, i shoot glock 17 in IPSC production, my gun is box-stock. Can anybody tell me if there is any advantage or added shooting "comfort" if i shift to a steel guiderod with a weaker recoil spring? :cheers:

Hi slickrick.

In IPSC Production the rules does not allow you to change guide rod or recoil spring, unless they are sold by Glock for the Glock 17 model.

In my experience the stock spring and guide rod is OK, the only thing I have installed is Glock OFM "minus" link in the trigger, wich gives me a trigger pull of just above the limit of 5 lbs.

I was running a 15# spring and steel Wolff guide rod in my G24, just to see how it would feel. I can't say that there was any drastic perceived change. I've gone back to the stock rod/spring, mainly because it's easier to remove and replace than the non-captured Wolff setup.

I wouldn't mess with it in a production class gun myself. Actually, the more I've shot Glocks, the more I'm convinced the closer to stock, the better. Sights definitely need changing. Maybe put in the 3.5# connector (I'm liking the LWD model) and a little polishing and that's about it. I've played with different springs, but I've ended up back at stock. Glocks run great out of the box, but there are plenty of after market parts out there to make them less reliable! :rolleyes:

hi, i shoot glock 17 in IPSC production, my gun is box-stock. Can anybody tell me if there is any advantage or added shooting "comfort" if i shift to a steel guiderod with a weaker recoil spring?

yes there is.... especially 13lbs. w/ tungsten rod.... just dont get caught or you'll end up in open division hehehehehe

IPSC production and USPSA Production have different rule sets. USPSA production allows changing the guiderod. The total weight of the gun cannot be 2 ounces over stock is the only limitation. Custom Glock Racing makes a tungsten rod that is standard length that keeps a G34/35 in its required weight. Do I think its a benefit. Not in production. It seems to help in Limited where major ammo is used. I run the ISMI captured rod with the 13# spring. All other springs are stock. I move the position of the trigger spring above the factory location by redrilling a new hole. I polish the internals and use the LWD 3.5# connector and added an overtravel screw to the ejector housing. Thats all that is done to my gun and it runs all the time unless I screw up my ammo. I run the Sevigney competition rear sight and a .90 front blade. I've been down the road of all the light Glock triggers and pretty much reverted back to stock. I like the snappy reset and feel thats what makes me shoot the Glock so well. Changing striker springs and trigger return springs only makes the reset weaker. I do like how the sights track with my load and the 13# ISMI. I can tell the difference.