Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USNA Combat Arms Team

Sestock

Does anyone know if the USNA still has an active USPSA or practical shooting program? Or is there a range/club in the Annapolis area to practice at?

Hi Doug!

I used to live in MD; dunno about the USNA team. But, I can shed some light on Annapolis area shoots: there are none.

I used to shoot bowling pins at the 12th Precinct Pistol club just south of there; the membership was super-paranoid about pin shooting and forced the pin-shooters to actually START each run pointing the pistol AT the pin! Holsters were out of the question; even "low-ready" was considered "too unsafe." You couldn't even touch your gun - they made you unbag under supervision at the start of the shoot & you had to leave your pistol on the firing line while you stayed 10 feet away waiting for your turn to shoot.

We put up with it anyway. Then, other club members (non pin shooters) decided to "run a safety test" - whereby they surrounded a pin table with garbage bag plastic, shot pins and looked for any holes in the plastic. You can see where this is headed. Pin shooting banned (by fellow gun owners no less!).

Those same dumb a-holes who banned pin shooting probably still do some sort of shooting there (at least they had an archery field course) - but forget about any sort of shooting supported by this forum.

There was also another club near there that used to host the Maryland Practical Shooters Association (MPSA) but they ran the USPSA club out of their facility years ago - I can't imagine that they are any more friendly towards any type of action shooting today. It just seems the whole central part of the state of MD is beyond hope.

There are great programs in other parts of the state though: Thurmont is home to MPSA now; Easter Shore has a great club with nice folks; Waldorf hosted USPSA for a long time & still has 3 gun; just to their south is Sanners lake and they are reported to have great IDPA & rifle side shoots; and jsut over the border near York PA, Howard has one of the best USPSA matches in the area, along with occasioanl 3 gun and rifle shoots.

Regards,

"the other Doug"

Edited by Carlos