Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm major load

harald

I have just got a S&W 610 and want to reload with a higher power factor then 170.

I have got my own cast cullets; Lee 170 grains TC bullets, and all vv powers 340, 350, 105, 3N37 and 3N38.

Can I reload to a higher power factor then 190 with this bullet?

Any tips...

I have just got a S&W 610 and want to reload with a higher power factor then 170.

I have got my own cast cullets; Lee 170 grains TC bullets, and all vv powers 340, 350, 105, 3N37 and 3N38.

Can I reload to a higher power factor then 190 with this bullet?

Any tips...

I'm a fellow 610 owner (love it!) but I haven't shot much lead out of it so far.

I'm sure you can get above 190pf, but you're likely to get quite a bit of leading unless you're casting them out of really hard lead (higher tin and antimony) and/or heat treating them (after sizing, before lubing).

VV lists loads for a 180gr jacketed bullet with all of those powders except 3N38 (not sure why) from a little over 1,100 fps on up as high as 1299fps. Since your lead bullet is lighter and lead gives higher velocities for the same charge I think you'll have no problem exceeding 190pf.

I've shot .38 Super with hard lead bullets as high as 1,250pfs and they started to lead the bore a fair amount....that was a Bar-Sto barrel so I'm pretty sure it was smooth! R,

Thank you, G-ManBart

Can I use reloading data for 180 gr jacked bullets when reloading my 170 gr lead bullets?

I cast hard bullets from mono type lead from a print shop.

There is not mutch data to find for vv power and lead bullets 170 - 180 gr with higher power factor. I have found a lot of data in 40 s&w but I am not shure if I can use the same power charge in 10mm.

Harald

Thank you, G-ManBart

Can I use reloading data for 180 gr jacked bullets when reloading my 170 gr lead bullets?

I cast hard bullets from mono type lead from a print shop.

There is not mutch data to find for vv power and lead bullets 170 - 180 gr with higher power factor. I have found a lot of data in 40 s&w but I am not shure if I can use the same power charge in 10mm.

Harald

Generally it's a bad idea to substitute components, but using a lead 170gr bullet with data for a jacketed 180gr bullet is only going to cause lower pressures. It should give you a very generous safety margin on pressure, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd still start a bit below the listed max pressure for the jacketed 180 and work up in increments, but I'd be comfortable doing the same thing with my 610. It's a very strong revolver and the reality is that maximum pressures listed for 10mm have to be safe in automatics which can't handle the pressures a revolver can. Combine it all and you're looking at shooting less than maximum listed pressures in a gun capable of handling quite a bit more so you're going to be fine.

If you want to try something fun, get some of Cor-Bon's 180gr Hunter ammo....I chrono'd some out of my 610 (4 7/8" barrel) and they were at 1200fps....quite toasty for the short barrel, but even my wife thinks they're fun to shoot and she's a tiny lil thing! R,