Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Simple, Useful, Realistic

sledgee

I have two favorite drills.

The first requires two targets. Standard setup is one yard apart, side by side, but I vary that.

On start signal, draw and hit T1 once, T2 twice, T1 once (boardinghouse rules: no one gets seconds till everyone is served). Then hit T2 in the head.

A simple 5 shot drill, but a good drill nonetheless. A one-shot draw, a transition, a controlled pair, a transition, and a gear shift to a careful headshot. A lot of good work for 5 shots. I do it in just over 3 seconds from concealed carry (at 3 yards).

My favorite drill is even simpler. 15 yard 1 shot draws. I happen to be naturally good at the close, fast and furious stuff. Don't need to practice it much.

When I do 100 1 shot draws, as I did today, I learn a lot. It is critical to get a second sight picture on every shot, otherwise one wastes half of the available instruction.

I find 15 yard draws to be an ideal balance between speed and precision. I practice on a steel C-zone, by the way.

I realize that my drills aren't very sophisticated. I have learned, and continue to learn, a great deal here on Benos.com.

Joe