Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SL Variant speedloaders for K frame VS my grips

HighVelocity

I picked up some SL variant loaders for my K frame but the grips interfere. Before I start grinding away on my nice wood grips, are there any grips that will clear the loader without modification?

Thanks,

Gary J.

Gary, By just looking at them the Pachmyer #1 gripper may fit the bill. I like the Hogue Mono Grip rubber. But I hack off the offender "ear" on the cylider release side of the frame. I have not used the SL Variant but the Jets and Safariland should be comprable in demensions. I have also used Davis Grips. Probably get a few more from the rst of the revo guys too.

Gary,

I've got a standard hogue rubber monogrip on my 686 and the sl variant loaders just barely clear the grip.

If your planning on using the sl variants for competition, I'd like to recommend something else. I used Bubber's tips/how to info to modify some safariland comp III and I was very impressed with the results. I used both types in a match last month and there was a big :) difference in ease of use. The modified comp III loaders were much easier to use. I struggled to get the rounds to line up with the sl variants and the release was... slower is a good word here. Bubber, thanks for the info on mods to the comp IIIs :D:goof: . I find in pratice with dummy rounds that I'm just as fast with the comp IIIs as I am with moonclips when using 38 special.

But don't get me wrong. I love the sl variants and will only use those for defensive work. They are very secure and I'm willing to stake my life on their performance. I just think they are too slow for competition when compared to the modded comp IIIs.

Rich

Gary -

I've used 234 SLVs for my K-frame with Pachmayr Grippers the last 2 years and had no clearance issues. They are smaller in all dimensions and clear better and faster than Comp IIIs - modified or unmodified. I think you'll find them a little finicky though. Keep them very clean, use Armor-all or similar on the inside surfaces to keep them running right and set the pitch to your liking. I think you'll like them.

You beat me to those SLVs on the IDPA forum by about 20 minutes. I would have bought all 8.

Will I get to see them in action February at the S&W match?

Craig

Edited by Bones

Thanks for the tips folks. I use Bubberized comp III's (which are very fast) with my 686 which is what I've been shooting but wanted to try the K frame for a while. I switched out the thumb piece for a newer style factory one that doesn't drop below the nut and that helped a little but even with the pachmayr grippers, it still drags a bit. I am not ready to give up on them but am not ready to take them to a match either. If I can beat my reload speed using the 686 and comp III's then I'll take it to a match but I am nowhere near that point yet.

Craig, I'm not going to make it to the S&W match this year, it's just not in the budget. You may yet end up with these SL's if I can't master them pretty soon.

Thanks,

Gary J.

Thanks for the tips folks. I use Bubberized comp III's (which are very fast) with my 686 which is what I've been shooting but wanted to try the K frame for a while. I switched out the thumb piece for a newer style factory one that doesn't drop below the nut and that helped a little but even with the pachmayr grippers, it still drags a bit. I am not ready to give up on them but am not ready to take them to a match either. If I can beat my reload speed using the 686 and comp III's then I'll take it to a match but I am nowhere near that point yet.

Craig, I'm not going to make it to the S&W match this year, it's just not in the budget. You may yet end up with these SL's if I can't master them pretty soon.

Thanks,

Gary J.

Gary, There was a pistolero named Mike Henry back in the day. He not only cut down the Speedloaders, back then they were mostly Jets, the way described in the mod but he also cut down the outside diameter so the rims of the brass were further out than the plastic of the speedloader to give more room for the K frames. He had access to a lathe and a little to much time on his hand when him and B.E. weren't getting ready for the big matches. I should of taken a picture as I ended up some of his stuff when he got out of the game. I would not try it with the SL Variants as I believe there is a spring under each round to get them into the cylinder. Good Luck rdd