Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load recommendations .357 SIG

Yaarr

Hi there.

As you know, .357 SIG will become legal for Standard/Major as a trial for the next 2 years in IPSC.

I live in a Country where 10mm is not legal, but .357 SIG is.

So does anyone have any Load recommendations .357 SIG?

Especially from Standard Shooters?

Thanks up front for any help/recommendations...

Greetings Yaarr,

Can you tell us what brands of powder are available in your country? For example, I know that in Europe, Vectan and Rex powders are more commonly available than in the US, while many common US powders are not available elsewhere.

Very generally, the reloaders in the US who reload .357 Sig have noticed issues with bullet set-back. Many of them believe that the Lee brand Factory Crimp Die may help prevent set-back.

Hi Carlos.

Vihtavuori Powder, is the most available.

Not sure, but probably H+N Bullets.

Machine 650 Dillon, with dillon dies and I understand that it is better to use .357 Sig Brass instead of .40.

But I would still like some idea of loads if poss and especially from Standard/Limited Class shooters if poss.

Cheers...

• 3 weeks later...

You're right about the .357 brass instead of .40! If you neck-down the .40, it's too short to hold the bullet firmly. The .357 stuff is slightly longer than a necked-down .40 would be.

The load I use is 8.6gr of Accurate #5 behind a Montana Gold 115 JHP. It's a light shooting load, and may not be "hot" enough for your purposes, but it runs the gun and hits where I want it to.

Also, be sure that you get the case shoulder set back enough to chamber properly. I loaded a couple hundred rounds and barrel-dropped each one to check them. They dropped in and out fine, but wouldn't chamber completely when I started shooting them! <_< I set the shoulder back a bit more on the next batch, and they ran great. :cheers:

YMMV.......FWIW

Alan~^~

• 2 weeks later...