Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The correct way to grip the gun

Cy Soto

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, just saw this now.

CY Soto, can you post the pics again? Hard to follow the discussion :)

I no longer have the files that I used for the original post but I had some photos taken (with a different gun) that shows the grip... The other issue is that I couldn't figure out how to edit my post so I just copied it down here.

I hope this helps!

-Cy

I have seen people at the range using both of these grips (No. 1 & No. 2 for different guns) and I don’t know if there is an advantage to using one over another. I find myself using both of these (depending on the gun I am shooting).

Any time I get a chance to shoot the 1911 (it’s my wife’s gun and she doesn’t let me borrow it often) I use the No. 1 grip. But if I try using this same grip (pic no. 1) with the M&P, I sometimes inadvertently hit the magazine release button and drop the mag. For this reason I end up gripping the gun as shown in M&P Pic No. 2.

The main benefit I see to using grip no. 2 is that there is more of the weak hand making contact with the frame of the gun. I don’t believe that the gun is traveling any more or any less during recoil (up travel and back to target). This is to say that it takes me the same amount of time to recover for follow up shots and my splits are fairly good and consistent (IMO).

1) Am I doing myself a disfavor by gripping the M&P as shown in pic 2?

2) Would I gain anything from switching my grip to the No. 1 grip?

3) Is there any other grip that I should consider that would offer an advantage over the ones shown here?

3b) If the answer is yes, a picture of this grip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

GRIP01.jpgGRIP02.jpg

The firearm pictured here is my duty gun and not the one that I use for USPSA but the principle in the same (oh and, ‘yes’ I know that I should practice with the same gun that I carry, but they won’t let me carry a CZ; specially one with a 1.8# SA trigger). :)

Please take all that I am about to say with a grain of salt because I am only a low, very low “B” shooter that still has a lot to learn… After some experimentation, I decided that grip no. 1 allowed me to have more contact with the gun and, for this reason it also provided more control.

Grip no. 2 (in my case) prevented the front sight from lifting as much but I was having trouble with bringing that front sight back to target. What it was doing was dipping below the rear sight as it came back from the shot and it was taking me a bit longer to shoot my follow up shots. It also put more stress on the support hand wrist causing discomfort after long practice sessions.

I have included some other photos that show how grip no. 1 looks from different angles.

GRIP03.jpg

View from the top (notice that the trigger finger and the support hand thumb are aligned).

GRIP05.jpg

Shooting my old Glock in a match (don't worry, the camera was being operated by remote control).

GRIP06.jpg

Article from Handguns Magazine: The Combat Handgun Grip

I just want to say thanks for posting this article. I read it very slowly and reexamined my grip. I have been a slump lately and thought what the heck, if I am going to change something now would be the time.

I went to the range yesterday for a quick session and started shooting with my thumbs away from the frame/slide of the gun (Like the grip Brian uses). I was really surprised in the way the gun felt. It didn't seem if I had to fight the gun anymore and apply certain grip pressure etc.; the gun just seemed to start tracking straight up down and felt so much more natural. Splits were a little better, not much, however the accuracy seemed so much easier to achieve.

The biggest thing I noticed was, now the palm of the support hand seems to make correct contact with the grip and remain there. My area is expected a lot of rain between now and Friday, (a nor’easter passing through) so I guess the next chance I will get at live fire will be at a match on Saturday.