Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

uspsa club shutting down

kangaroo

Sorry to hear about your dad and I hope all goes well..

About how we run things at our club. We have 9 squads of 4 and 5 RO's who are required to run a practice about 5 times a year. Once every 11 weeks or so. We also expect them to volunteer at any of the major matches we have in a year. We have 24 USPSA matches a year, first and third Sunday. We have people assigned which match they are to be MD. That person is responsible for getting together 5 stage designers, a score keeper, and someone to handle sign ups. We offer a free match to those who do each duty. Matches cost is $25 for non-members and $20 for members. We also usually pick up a few helpers. The first helper for each of the people who build/design the stages get to pay only $10 for their match, member or not. We are always looking for people to pitch in and design stages/help setup. Excess funds go to pay for targets, tapes, and regular supplies and go to buying more equipment or maintaining already purchased equipment. We are getting ready to pick up a dozen mixed poppers and USP's and some other nifty steel and activating targets. We generally have between 30-60 shooters at a match, sometimes 5 or 6 stages. Even offering all this, we sometimes have trouble filling the roles, but more often than not we have most of the people we need for setup.

If there are no incentives, well, people tend to shoot and scoot. If you give them a reason to come on out, well, that's something that makes things worth it and it usually draws people out.

Keeping it on topic, I hate when clubs shut down also.. burnout by a few people is an avoidable thing, but if everyone shoots and scoots, I can't blame the main core of people saying "Enough is enough!".

Edited by sargenv