Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Measure twice load once

AustinMike

Not really a match screwup, more of a match preparation screwup... Long story, but I had to switch bullets recently due to feeding issues that I couldn't seem to fix and resorted to some old stock of Precision Delta bullets that I knew would feed fine. Well, I realized late last week that I wasn't going to have enough bullets to load match ammo for the TX State Limited this weekend. Precision Delta got me a shipment of bullets quick and I was reloading yesterday. I finished the old supply and grabbed a new box and continued loading. I dumped all the loaded rounds into a box and probably had about 450 loaded. I decided to chamber and mag check and found that some of the rounds were too long by .020"! Damn, I didn't check the new bullets against the old and sure enough, Precision must have changed the mould from the last time I ordered. The profile was definitely different. Well, crap, now the rounds were all mixed up. I could tell for the most part which were which, but just to be sure I calipered every one of them and ran the long ones through the seater and crimper again. I use a minimal crimp with a Lee FCD, so a figured that would be OK. Wish I could chrono these before the match, but I don't think I'll get to. I assume they will only run a little hotter. This is .40 for a LWD barreled Glock and I only seated them to 1.140", instead of my usual 1.135", just to be on the safe side with pressure.

There you have it. Assume nothing, closely inspect new lots of bullets, and measure that OAL before you go crankin' on that Dillon handle!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just shot with a guy this month who ordered a large amount of re-mfg ammo, same deal, the whole lot he got was bad, the bullets were barely seated in the cases and the a.o.l. was so long they wouldn't feed, he didn't even look at them before the match and found out his first stage.