Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some question on a new gun

MicFasto

I have a few questions about the “Stock” model . I am looking for a replacement for a Beretta 92 to use in IDPA stock service pistol. I used to have a witness in 45 ACP I sold it long ago for several reasons. Ported barrel was not allowed for IDPA, did not feed hollow points 100% and the biggest concern was that in double action it was a little hard for me to reach the trigger.

I can only get the gun by ordering it, so I can not try it on for size before I buy it. I now believe that the 9mm and 40 guns are built on the same frame the 10mm,45ACP and the 38 super were back when I got mine around 2000 . Will the trigger reach be the same as it was on the 45 ACP? Is there a shorter reach trigger that can be added? Are the wood grip thinner that the rubber ones were? Thus reducing the trigger reach?

Final questions what are the differences between the stock and the match? Besides the obvious single action trigger, finish and grips. I am thinking if I have to use the “stock” in single action only mode is it wroth the $200 extra over the match? I would then shoot either in enhanced service pistol.

The current Stock model is the same frame for all calibers, so yes it will be the same as the 45 you had years ago.

The wood grips are smaller than the rubber grips for sure.

Match vs Stock. Well, the Stock is definitely an upgraded pistol compared to the Match. It has nicer checkering, bull barrel and square trigger guard.

Of all the features, I'd say the bull barrel is the big draw on the Stock. I haven't shot the two side by side to compare and I don't think you'll shoot way better with one over the other. It's more style and feel preferences on your part. You can always convert the Stock to Single Action. Also worth noting is that the Stock has a 0.25" shorter slide and barrel.

If you're concerned with the reach to the trigger, I'd say single action is the way to go for you. There isn't any other triggers that you can put on the Stock if you want a D/A gun. The checkering is more subtle than say the Limited model so not much to shave off there and at least in IPSC Production you can't modify the grips to make them smaller.

Bottom line is I think you'll be happy with either one. Stock is prettier, nicer, upgraded. The Match is a fantastic gun for the price. Bull barrel, checkering, square trigger and slide/barrel length is the difference besides the duo-tone finish. Sights are the same.

If you want to chat about it, call me at (303) 834-8289.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with a "Stock" and if the thinnner grips don't do the trick I will go with single action on it. You said the Stock has a Squared trigger gaurd? the only photos I have seen have it with a rounded one. Time to get a holster and some mags.

Michael,

I just got your order packaged up and it's going out now. The new G-Code holsters are nice and fits the Stock / Match perfectly. One thing to consider down the road is getting the aluminum pads for them. You don't need them for the capacity of course, but they are a lot more sturdy than the plastic bottoms they come with.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my pistol. First impressions are very good. A joy to shoot one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot. I may try the fiber optic front sight post if it is not to wide. I also took out the firing pin block before shooting it and will probably swap out to a 14 or 15 lbs. hammer spring and polish what needs to be polished and the trigger should be good to go. I am very happy with it.

Mic, I know EAA's site says the Stock is legal for IDPA but I am not so sure that they are correct. Their site says that the Stock has a 4.5 inch bull barrel. Bull barrels are only legal in IDPA if they are under 4.2 inches.

Hummm...... I guess I will just have to shoot it for fun. :surprise: If I wanted to split hairs (I don't really want to) Since it is not a modification and is factory stock in production of 2000 more a year it may work in SSP as it is only prohibited as a modification in that class and the 4.2 lenght limit is in the ESP class.