Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight, Front sight, Front Sight!

bonedaddy

2001, Mile-HI Showdown.  I checked my gun over 100% about 2 weeks before the match.   All is well.  First stage, I'm smokin'!  Later on, I came to some steel.  Couldn't hit it to save my life!  The misses continued on anything much past 7 yards.  I was so discouraged by the end of the first day that I wanted to quit and go home.  A Pro shooter, that I admire very much, told me it would be a huge mistake to fail to finish the match, no matter how badly I was shooting.  I knew if I quit that day, I could never look him in the eye again.  He was the ONLY reason that I even showed up the next day.   It continued, close targets were hit as if my magic, far targets were missed, no matter how well I executed the fundamentals.  I returned home, so pissed at myself, and so dejected, that I put my gun away and didn't touch it for two weeks.  ( that's an eternity for me)  I finally decided to face my gun and clean it.  

The front sight was hanging out of the dovetail on one side.

I don't learn important things quickly.  With me it takes time.  But, those two days of shame were the start of a long journey for me.   "Seeing what I need to see"...............don't begin with a pre-conceived notion about that one.