Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Taper Die

TMA

I have a Dillon 650 that I have loded thousands of rounds on. My problem is that I have just started reloading 9mm and I am having a problem getting the bullets to seal tightly into the cases.

I'm using Dillon Dies to include a taper/crimp die. After a round is loaded, the bullet will easily twist in the case and with little effort,some will pull out. What am I doing wrong and how do I correct the problem.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but here goes:

The bullet is held in place by friction between the case wall and the bullet itself. That's accomplished by the resizing die. Secondly, make sure you don't have too much bell put on the case from the powder die. There should be just enough to successfully funnel the bullet in without it being shaved when seated. Then make sure you don't have too much crimp. You only want about .001-.002" which will be just enough to facilitate the feeding cycle while shooting the rounds. The crimp is not supposed to hold the bullet in place...

If all of the above is in check, then your size die may be off spec. I have seen that before...Hope this helps.

When you say that you have "just started reloading" 9mm...

Have you mic'd your bullets or tried different types (e.g. cast, JHP)? Undersized bullets are not unheard of, particularly, it would seem, with some "bargain" cast varieties. Does this phenomena occur with quality jacketed bullets?

Turtle's spot on on not over-belling - also, mic your expander ball and ensure it's not over-diameter, which is also not unheard of.