Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adventures Of Fuzly

Fuzly

What a great idea! Its like Christmas or the UPS man showing up at the house when I discover something I have not noticed before on this forum. Well, here goes.

1-14-07

Here I am at the gravel pit. It sure is cold, but the crust on the snow makes it easy to find brass. I'm at 100% recovery for this year. I have a new load to try out. I purchased some Laser Cast bullets (.40 180 gr TC) and am anxious to see the results. First, 15 yards at a bullseye, holy cow!, that's a great group for me.

I have had some shooters advise me to not use lead because of the smoke. I'll worry about the smoke when it starts to bother me, the gun seems to like the lead bullets, I'm getting away with less powder and recoil, and saving money.

I start struggling a little with the DA pull on my Beretta. In fact I'm shooting mostly double action in order to improve. Thinking SMOOTH when pulling the trigger seems to be more important than perfect sight alignment.

Didn't bring too many of the test loads, but I'll have to load a couple hundred up and give a more lengthy test. Now I can just goof around a little with the .22. I see a beer can that wants to dance. The black sights with plenty of daylight around the front blade make things easy with all the snow for background. There is probably a lesson on sights here, I just don't have the cash right now to put new sights on all my pistols. The lack of recoil helps, I remind myself it's important to practice with the centerfires too to experience some recoil.

Wish I would have brought the 686. Last time out I tried some .38 sp +P 158 grainers and fired another personal best group. It is definitely time to get some dies and work up a load. I promise myself I will shoot the revolver in a match this year, maybe IDPA SSR. I am shooting it better that anything else right now. :wub: I have "Miculek's Pro Tips" from shootingusa.com and am pretty much mimicing him. It's working! I might have to start saying "bottomfeeder".

Time to pack up and take a walk to warm up. Did I mention January in Northern Wisconsin is a little cold? Short trips to the range are better than no trips.

'til next time,

Dan