Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Loads + Slp = Single Shot Bolt Action

want2race

Light loads:

My SLP would not run them (with the "light" piston). I've never even installed the heavy piston since I don't shoot over 1 1/4 oz loads.

I have had to shoot the Express Long Range shells, 00 buck or slug rounds for it function properly. Anything else and my semi auto was reduced to a bolt action single fire. I went through the easy stuff first, cleaned, lubed, proper function. Everything was in order but it just didn't like anything with a short brass shell (light powder).

I bought it "pre-broken in" so I don't think that it was just tight.

I'm posting this incase anyone else has the same problem. I have fixed it, finally. There are two gas ports in the gas block, both are 1/8th according to my drill bit gages. I bored one out to 9/64.

Tested with Sluggers, 00 buck, #4 Express long range shells first, followed by Win AA 1 1/8oz, 7 1/2 shot; Federal 1oz, 7 1/2 and some odd ball Remington 1oz, 8 shot. The last time I tried the last two shell types listed my SLP would not even cycle enough to partially eject the hull.

I was so excited I was nearly giddy. The SLP chewed up everything without so much as a fart. Felt recoil was unchanged.

The gas system is "self regulating" so I'm not worried about excess gas pressure. I wonder if the gas ports are the same size as the 22" SX2's? I figured the barrel was too short for the gas port size. When I cut down my FAL barrel I had to adjust the gas port in the same manner to get reliable function.

BTW, I only use this in side matches and for self gratification.

Can I assume this is the FN version of the SX2? Mine never ran anything less than the 3 dram, 1 oz loads and those weren't all that reliable. The 1 1/8 oz did better but all reduced recoil slugs shot well. I tried to get the FN techs to get with me about my unreliable shell catch but they would return my email...yet.

Mick

A27257

Yep, SLP is basically a short SX2. I haven't had any issues with me shell catch so far.

I just wanted to be able to shoot shells other than the Long Range stuff, the fireball that comes out of the breech end is fun at the range but not good for night vision. I want to try some reduced recoil slug and 00 buck now.

I shoot a bunch of low recoil buck and slugs in my SX2, most work OK but I'd like it to be more reliable with stuff like 2 3/4 dram 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads....

I'm trying to get the shell catch back to 100%...

Mick

A27257