Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fayettevill, Nc Area Ffl

Hello,

New to the area and I want to get some paperwork out of the way ASAP. Therefore, I am calling on my Fayetteville-area brothers and sisters to give me some quick and very accurate info on firearms transfers in North Carolina (note I got a new license yesterday). So...here are my questions:

- Are there any permits required for handgun purchases/transfers?

- Anything special with long guns (permits, etc.)?

- What's the waiting period if any?

- What's the maximum number of firearms you can buy/transfer, etc. per day/week/month if any?

- Do y'all know of a FFL in the area that does transfers?*

- Good place to pick up a CCW in the area?

* I have an AR lower in Oregon that is sitting at a FFL's house now, a shotgun at Benny Hill's and a Glock I'm getting from a friend all needing to come to Carolina.

If there's a local-ish gun shop in the area that y'all would recommend that's good. I'm always a little leary of small shops 'cause they tend to look at you weird when you ask for a copy of their FFL to send to another and/or wonder why you're not just buying something from them (then they look at you real weird when stuff comes in from folks like Benny). Too, they tend to be pretty steep on the fees for transfer. In the end, if it becomes too difficult, I'll just make the drive up to Raleigh and do it at the Tilley's shop.

Any info is appreciated. Also, 3-Gun, IPSC, IDPA, Shotgun & Rifle in the area would be great to know too. I looked (briefly) at the USPSA website and will hit up the NC section a lot more as well as if there's anything in northern South Carolina.

Thanks in advance.

Dustoff!!!

Rich

ETA: Forgot something. Since the AR is going to need some work (it's just a lower) about how far do y'all shoot 3-Gun around here? In California our matches will run the spectrum. CQ stuff all the way out to 300+. Any info is appreciated.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Hello,

New to the area and I want to get some paperwork out of the way ASAP.

- Are there any permits required for handgun purchases/transfers?

- Anything special with long guns (permits, etc.)?

- What's the waiting period if any?

- What's the maximum number of firearms you can buy/transfer, etc. per day/week/month if any?

- Do y'all know of a FFL in the area that does transfers?*

- Good place to pick up a CCW in the area?

Any info is appreciated. Also, 3-Gun, IPSC, IDPA, Shotgun & Rifle in the area would be great to know too. I looked (briefly) at the USPSA website and will hit up the NC section a lot more as well as if there's anything in northern South Carolina.

Hi Rich --

Double-check all these answers, but....

You need a permit (or in-state CCW permit) to purchase a handgun. There is no waiting period, per se, but you have to visit the Sheriff's Dept. of your County (Cumberland?), and apply, and it takes about a week for them to run a background check and issue them. I usually get 5 at a time, and they're good for 3 years I believe.

Or, you can present proof of having attended a valid CCW "class", and apply for a CCW permit, in which case you won't have to mess with individual handgun permits.

Bottom line - any dealer and individual selling you a handgun is going to want a permit, or to see a valid NC CCW. AFAIK, there's no limit to the number of guns you can buy/sell, but your County's Sheriff's Office might have their own rules about number of permits they'll issue in a year. Dunno.

For long guns, no permit needed -- just a valid NC license and you'll have to fill out that standard Federal form (forget the name) at time of purchase. No biggie. This is assuming you're buying from a dealer.

Don't know any stores in the Fayetteville Area.

Do visit "http://www.ncsection.org" for a list of area matches (IDPA/IPSC/3-gun). You're in a good spot, with a good match within an easy drive (< 2hr) almost every weekend. This weekend is the NC Sectional, in fact. And, the 2nd weekend of the month there's a match spitting distance from you on Ft. Bragg (Range 14)....

HTH,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Did some checking on how to get a pistol in the area. BTW, I'm writing this while at training...so forgive me for being brief. Basically, you're right.

The luxury is that I can go to the Provost Marshall's office and get my background check done by our MP's. Then, go to the Sheriff's office and do my permit. It takes about 1-2 days for them to process it and I'm good to go. You are correct though on the NC-CCW. So...when I get back into town, I'll probably give the Tilley's some money and take their CCW class so that in the future, I can just cash and carry.

As for the long guns, you're spot on. Walk in, walk-out. My 1SG has a great relationship with a local shop so I'll hit them up when I get back too. I just need a copy of their FFL to send to Benny and my buddy and then I can ship long guns to them. Pretty sweet.

Hmmm....what am I forgetting. Oh...Range 14. Yeah, I'm going to try and go to that, training permitting. Hopefully the G17 or Z-Man's G34 (if I go with it) will be here by then and I'll just play in Production. Probably should renew my USPSA membership now too. :blink:

Anyways, what am I forgetting. Oh...I'm going to have to find someone that's into 3-Gun in the area (I'll check the NC Section site too). I'm curious as to how far y'all shoot. The lower that's coming, I want to see about building it into a 16" vs. an 18". I'll probably just do an 18" for simplicity.

Thanks for the info. Anything else GREATLY appreciated.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...here's your really random one. Anyone live in the Fayetteville area willing to let me borrow their chronograph for a day? I'm shooting the FOP this coming weekend and need to map out my rifle rounds, since the best I can do is a 100 yard range.

Thanks and there is a high priority on this.

Thanks,

Rich