Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

little buff wear -- lighter spring?

Danva

I am using a 12.5# recoil spring in my STI and I'm getting very little buff wear. I have checked to see if the spring compresses on the guide all the way and it does. I am using the blue Wlison buffs.

I am thinking of trying a 11# spring

Should I expect to feel/see anything different by dropping a pound on the spring?

Also, who sells the Hiett buffs?

I am guessing that the 12.5# recoil spring that you have is an ISMI.  That is what I am currently running in my SV and I like it a lot.  On my homemade recoil spring tester, copied from here:

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...28&topic=44

(except I use a digital fish scale for weighing), the ISMI 12.5 is actually a bit lighter than a Wolff 12lb. that I have.  Their "closed" weight was very similar but the ISMI was a few ounces lighter "open".  

On the Hiett buffs, Brownells has them.

http://www.brownells.com

(Edited by DBChaffin at 11:18 am on May 31, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Just wondering if the brass ejection with your 10-12 lb springs are still within the 4-6 feet distance?  The reason I'm asking is that with my Limited 1911 in .45, the some of the brass land up to 10 ft away with my 16# spring (2 coils cut) with major load. Or does it even matter? :) Thanks.

if there was a setup where I could get my brass to disappear behind the horizon, I would use it... Seriously, my brass lands about 10 ft away, but who cares? Gun runs, that's all that matters in this context...

--Detlef