Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Opinions On The Lmt Mrp?

David Thomas

I am considering buying a LMT MRP upper. I like the monlithic rail concept, but I think I like the quick change barrel and caliber aspect even more.

These uppers have been out for a little while now, so does anybody use them for 3-gun? If so any new reports on how they are working for you.

Thanks in advance.

David

Why? What is the value of a quick change bbl/caliber here? I would rather just have different uppers ready to go if that was a requirement.

I fail to see the utility of a full length rail for 3gun unless you are unsure of where you want your sights mounted and want to keep moving them around or?

JMO, but I don't see what use these features will be on a competition rifle.

The MRP is a great platform, though not necessarily geared towrds 3-gun. If you are going to compete casually and want to change to a 6.8 SPC barrel for deer season the MRP would be a nice choice. They are amazingly consistent as to POI when changing barrels, so it takes only minor adjustment, sometimes none, to rezero. Also, the monolithic is noticeably stiffer than a receiver and forend combination. This make the recoil impulse unique and pleasing to many shooters. They are just very "solid".

There are, of course, downsides too. Main one is that barrels and extensions are non-standard, so your barrel choices are limited to those LMT offers. 10.5, 14.5, and 16 in chromlined and 16 and 18 in SS. Contours are middle of the road. Serviceable , not too heavy, not ultralight.

Would I buy one specifically for 3-gun? Nope, other better choices for that. would I get one if I wanted a switch-barrel setup to ocasionally change calibers without the need to duplicate expensive optics, rail systems, etc.? Yep, I have an MRP and love it for what it is. Don't use it for 3-gun though.

thank you both for your replies.

I realize the abillity to change calibers and barrels may not be much if any use/benefit for 3-gun competitions and the usefulness of monolithic uppers will always be up for debate.

However, that doesn't mean that the abillity to change barrels and calibers does not serve any purpose or benefit the user in other areas.

I am tempted by the abillity to get into the 6.8 for just a few hundred dollars, plus get what appears to be a rather unique 556 upper (although for quite a few $'s). If more calibers are released then even better, right?

I have a JP ctr-02 that is my go to gun for 3-gun style shooting/competition. However more options and varieties are always good, right? I am not asking if I should get one for 3-gun, rather I wanted to see how many people do use these uppers for 3 gun and what those who may have had a chance to shoot these uppers in 3-gun or other competitions thought about them.

Thanks,

David