Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Issue.....

chad allred

My beloved Para p-14 lda did somthing strange today.I was shooting my local IDPA match and was about half way through a stage when about my seventh round went to slide lock.I had 10 in the mag to start and this is the firt time this has ever happened.I quickly racked the slide and finished my stage(I still shot a 86.68 B) ).My question is...Do you guys think I might have a problem of some kind or did I just nick the slide stop with my thumb when under recoil?I loaded up three mags and with the RO's permission stepped to an empty stage and let em fly with out a hitch...Hopefully a one time problem but would love your input.Btw this slide stop is factory and has about 1000 rounds on it.Thanks -Chad-

Hopefully your mags are numbered so you can keep track if you ever have a mag related problem.

I don't remember ever seeing the problem you had that wasn't the slide stop itself though....

Pull the top end off the gun, put the slide stop back in the frame and put your magazines in. How much of the nub on the slide stop is engaging the follower? Should be quite a bit on a stock gun with stock para followers. Now put a couple rounds in each magazine, still with just the frame and slide stop, no top end. Insert the mags, how close is the nub to the bullet? If it is pretty close the round can activate the slide stop, and this is almost surely what happened to you. Shave the nub down a little to get more clearance between the top round in the mag, but keep an eye on it with an empty mag too. Go a little too far and you will not lock back on an empty mag once in a while. Balance the two.

This is exactly why most of us have disabled the slide stop locking the gun back on our USPSA guns.

Hey HSMITH,Dude...thank you very much.You hit the nail on the head,I did exaclty what you said and I found the clearance problem with the bullet hitting the slide stop.I tried another slide stop and it has pleanty of room!Thanks again-Chad-