Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Walk-through; Bad Stage?

boo radley

Interesting - this has happened to me now, in two matches back-to-back.

I came to a stage well before the match, and ran through it as if I were actually shooting it, with full concentration, and made a mistake. In one case I turned down into a trap, and the other time, I completely missed seeing a target.

Went back, of course, and repeated doing it the *right* way, and visualized running the stage the proper way, but the damage was done it seems. Both times, in the match, I made the exact same mistake. A little frightening.

Mental weakness or not, I'm *never* going to run through a stage, dry-firing, unless I'm doing it w/out mistakes.

I walk through the stage during walk through and if I make a mistake, I back up and go forward again the right way. Then, I go through it again the right way. I mentally stop and tell myself what was wrong.

Sometimes, if dry firing the poppers incorrectly (or equiv), I will stop there and start the string over again. I try to never continue through the stage if I know I have started to mentally program a mistake.

I look at the stages during the overall walk through (if there is one) but don't make my final plan until the walk through while about to shoot that stage.

Lorrie

I once was worried about the door at the end of a stage and ran throught the end of the stage over and over to get the door handling right. When I ran the stage, I totally blew by an array of 3 targets (90 penalty points) and lost the match by .2%.

Now, I never run throught a part of a stage. I start in the starting position and go all of the way through. If I feel that I've made a mistake or change the way I want to shoot it, I back up to the beginning and start all over at the Starting Position.

That's what works for me.