Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wincherster 1300 Jam?

ewokUk

Hi Guys & Gals,

I wonder if you could help a newby with a problem?

I was using my Winchester 1300 in a PSG comp the other week when I started missing loads - I initially put this down to me short stroking the gun, but throughout the day it gradually got stiffer & stiffer & on one occasion I had to use both hands on the pump to get it to open & eject the spent shell.

Thinking that I had just let it dry out, I drenched it in oil (a light spray oil) & it was OK for a stage but gradually got worse again.

After the match I stripped it completly, but found nothing strange, the bolt carrier internals were all clean, the lugs of the bolt were clean & the area where they engage in the barrel was clean as well.

I normaly strip & clean the gun after each use & lubricate it with a light spray gun oil. I've had it 6 months & this is the first problem that I've had with it.

I've seen one other guy have a similar problem with the same gun, but does anyone know what caused it & how to prevent it?

It seems to me that the bolt was not rotating to release the mecahnism. Could this be due to the light oil that I'm using? Would it be better to strip the bolt carrier & lubricate the bolt rotating mechanism with something like Slide Glide?

I don't think it was anything to do with the shells that I was using, because I'd used that type in a competition a few weeks before with no problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Anything that sprays is too light for a "gun oil". It is good to displace moisture, but as a lube I would say no. With that said, a 1300 should be able to run dry. Sounds like something is getting jamed in the action, unburnt powder from your tripple crown buck or something.

Now as for oil, get to a car parts store and get a quart of any good 5W-30 motor oil, synthetic would be nice, like Castrol and use that as you "lube". I think just about everyone over here uses it. Put a good coat on any shiny metal that seems to move or has something moving against it. KURT

Sounds like something is getting jamed in the action, unburnt powder from your tripple crown buck or something.

You've got a good memory Kurt! But it was two weeks since I had used any, and the gun had been cleaned twice since then & was almost totally clean after the comp?

I've just had a friend suggest cleaning with brake cleaner & running it almost dry using a dry, teflon based lubricant like Tri-flow. Would this harm the gun? I should say that this is how he runs his single stack 1911 & he never has a jam.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by ewokUk