Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Know If Your Grip Is Right

bufit323

I have been working on my trigger control and dry firing a great deal lately. I am finally starting to figure out some things about the relationship between a good grip and sight return (especially at speed).

I have noticed that a big part of my sight picture return itrack s dependant on how much of my weak hand I can get on the backstrap of the gun. Most things that I have read note that it is important to have both strong and weak hand support on the backstrap, so that all four "corners" of the grip are in firm contact with something (one hand or the other).

What I am finding is that I do not have enought room to get my weak hand back there confortably(226ST). I have never thought of myself as having huge hands, but it occured to me that I really do not know if I have huge hands or barbie doll hands.

How does one really know? the only objective information I can give is that if I put my index finger behind my trigger (inside the guard) I can touch my thumb. If it is around the trigger, I can not.

Is it possible that I have to much of my strong hand back there?

Any advice, help, or just thought?

:unsure: ????????

My weak hand doesn't get anywhere near the backstrap.

Watch this

I fear that I have made a terminology error, I mean that some part of my weakhand should contact some part of the gun on the back side. I thought that is what Jarrett meant when he was talking about how all four corners of the gun are contacted tightly. If this is not the case, what is contacting the back left corner?

Once you have the proper "Strong" hand grip the heel of the "Weak" hand should lay in the open area of the weak side grip between the tips and heel of the "Strong" hand. You should then wrap the fingers of the "Weak" hand around and over the fingers of the "Strong" hand. You should then apply pressure so that it feels as if you are pushing forward on the tips of your "Strong" hand fingers and pressing in toward the strong side grip against the fingers/knuckles of your "Strong" hand with the fingers of the "Weak" hand.

This is the best I can do without showing you. Hope it helps.