Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifcation Match

hmp32

So, I had been looking forward to a busy weekend:

On Saturday:

=I had new loads to measure which I had planned to do on Saturday Morning

for Sunday's IPSC match.

=And then there was an IDPA Classifier which I was planning to go ESP and

=SSP with a CZ75B. This is at the same range I am a member of.

And then, I was going to attended a College Alumni Event at 4pm that day.

On Sunday:

=IPSC Match 1 hour driver from where I live.

Well, I getup early Saturday morning and realized I needed to laundry =(

I then find out the alumni event was last weekend...

So, I decide I can chrono after the classifer.

Get to the range, find out the classifier is Sunday, not Saturday *sigh*.

So, okay, I will chrono loads. While doing that, one of our local great

shooters is there. He told me he was going to be in the action bays

(Renton has standard pistol stalls that are monitored and seperate

"action bays" for club events and members in groups of 2 or more

when not used for club events). So, new excitement for the day,

I finish up my chrono'ing and go to the action bays.

Working with Magnus, we get a rough setup of the IDPA classifer stage (neither of

us had the book with us). He was very helpful in showing me some strategy tips,

but more importantly, in letting me use his timer. He should me how to read the

splits. And with his help, I found out that I could draw quickly (roughly ~2 seconds

to draw and hit target with first bullet), and I could get off the second/third shot quickly

.24 second splits between shots on the same target. But, it was taking me up to

1.5 to 2 seconds to re-aquire the next target.

The push and the shove is that I needed to speed up moving from target to target.

I had kinda of know this before. I had started to practice with multi targets down

range on the taget board and place 1-2 shots per target and move on to the next

in practice before this. But, having the timer and the 3rd party witness it, that was

very helpful at confirming my intution was correct.

Now, for Sunday, I skipped, the IPSC match to go to the IDPA qualifer (I am determined for a number of reasons to get 5 gun qualified this year)....

So, based on yesterday, I decide to shoot ESP first, figuring, at worst, it was a warmup for SSP which I precieved as being harder.

Well, ESP went okay, as I ended up with a Marksman rating at 179seconds (range for Marksman in ESP is 138.19 - 190. ESP is "Enhanced Service Pistol" which is basically,

single action pistols that can hold at least 10+1. It is the division for non-45/non-single stacks.

But, since I decided that was to get me classified, and warm up, I had not let it discourage me from the SSP which I used the CZ75B. This pistol, incidently, can SA with a manual safty ==OR== DA on the first shot (manually lowering the hammer) and SA on follow up shots. Anyway, I ended up getting 145 on the second time through the qualifers which made me a Sharpshooter putting me well within the range of 120.01 - 152.73.

The biggest lesson I learned this weekend is Attitude. When my planned schedule fell apart because I hadn't confirmed certain things, I rolled with the punches and ended up having a great practice session on Saturday that helpped me condify my observations (that is, my judgement was consistant with objective measurement and observation).

And when it came to Sunday, my attitude allowed me to meet my minimum goal of Marksman for ESP. And then, "warmed up", I gained the next level for SSP.

Without sounding like I am kicking myself (I really am not), I had a great set of lessons on attitude. And at each turn of my weekend, I did as well as my attitude allowed me.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great weekend, but I sure did.

Edited by hmp32