Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sdb Powder Change

Z-man

Here's a noob question. I recently bought a Dillon SDB and have been reloading with Titegroup. I'd like to switch powders and try something different, but I was wondering what the easiest way to do this is. Do people usually let the powder dispenser run dry (how do you do this without getting improper charges towards the end) or do they take the dispenser off the machine, dump it out and clean the inside? The second seems the safest, but is there a "proper" way to clean the powder dispenser?

Thanks for helping out a beginner!

What I do is first remove the return rod and the powder measure lid. On my 550, I can slide the entire toolhead out and tilt the measure to pour the powder back into its labeled container. You may want a big funnel depending on the mouth of the container and the end of the powder measure is fairly large. You have to shake and wiggle it some to get most of it out. Also turn it straight up then back and you'll maybe be able to pour a little more out. After do that, I'd turn the measure right side up and hold the outlet over the top of your powder container and slide the powder slide (by hand) a few times to make sure it's empty.

If you cannot remove your toolhead (never used an SDB), then disconnect the measure from the powder die using the 2 allen-head screws and empty it.

Remove the fail-safe rod, and loosen the single set screw on the L-shaped piece that keeps the powder measure from lifting off the collar, and remove both.

The powder measure will now be able to lift off. Remove the lid, and carefully pour the power back into it's jug. Then, work the powder bar a few times by hand, and get rid of the rest of the powder. Put it back, empty, and run a case or two through it to make sure it's still empty.

Remove the fail-safe rod, and loosen the single set screw on the L-shaped piece that keeps the powder measure from lifting off the collar, and remove both.

The powder measure will now be able to lift off. Remove the lid, and carefully pour the power back into it's jug. Then, work the powder bar a few times by hand, and get rid of the rest of the powder. Put it back, empty, and run a case or two through it to make sure it's still empty.

Just like that.

I am weird about returning powder to the container when finished loading.

Replaced the allen screw with a stud and wingnut assembly for easy, no tool emptying of the powder measure. Par time of 60 seconds to have empty measure remounted on press.

No need to really clean the measure, just make sure to cycle it a few times after pouring the powder out to empty the measuring cavity. Tap it upside down on your hand a couple of times Etc. No need to get really crazy about every last spec , in fact the black residue left from use is actually a good thing and makes the measure work better. ( Really , I'm not kidding , It's graphite , lubticates and reduces static cling )

Be sure to put the screw back in after dumping the powder, otherwise the first round loaded on the next run will be messy, the measure will pole vault right off the machine and dump a full measure of powder in your lap.

Travis F.