Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mount Screw Problem

Austin Hemphill

I have a bit of a problem. Recently I noticed that my open gun would not hold zero, and I though I had found and fixed the problem by tightening the one loose screw I found on the mount. However, I noticed yesterday that the head of another screw had broken off, with the shank flush with the frame on both sides. The mound I have been using is a CPMI for aimpoint, with three 6-40 x 1/4" screws in the C-more pattern. The other two screws came out easily, and it appears that the locktite had given way. My question is how do I remove the small shank remaining in the frame with out damaging the thin dustcover or hole? I have been thinking about putting a small drill bit in the dremel and trying to spin it out like I did with a 1911 gripscrew that broke in the bushing. In that case it spun right out without any problems. Is this reasonable, or should I just send it to a pro?

Thanks,

Austin

I would add a soldering iron to the mix. Use it to heat the piece of screw left in the dust cover and hopefully soften the loc-tite. It will apply the heat only where it is needed. Then I would use a SHARP drill in a good cordless in low gear, start drilling then when you have a full diameter cut decrease RPM and increase pressure. Hopefully the drill will 'bite' and run the screw out.