Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Primer Problem

I was using my 550 today and after refilling the primer feeder with CCI large primers I realized the safety rod would not go back in the top. It seemed that the primers were stuck. I removed the safety buzzer and took off the chrome nob. I then removed the inner primer tube. The problem is that the primers are still stuck somehow in the black outer tube. What do I do? I do not know how or if I can remove the outer tube. Its 24 hours before I can call Dillon. Any ideas would be a great help.

Not sure how they would get in the outer tube, but can't you just remove the end of the spring beneath the primer feed, unscrew the two screws that hold the primer feed in place, and are located with heads facing down where the spring was, hold an empty big coffee can or wastebasket under the primer feed, lift the outer tube slightly, and pull out the primer feed. Primers should drop freely and all over the place. It could be a two person job, one to hold the container and the other to lift the tube and pull the primer feed out (or just put a big empty garbage can below the whole thing. Take the fired primer catcher off first so there are no obstructions for the little devils to hit and bounce off of.

Then check to make sure all are out and put it back. Not really any different than changing from large primers to small.

Which makes me wonder if you have the right size inner primer tube in there. One is for small primers, the other for large.

Bob