Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steyr Arms, Inc.

revchuck

A few months back, I picked up (cheap!) a used Steyr M40. I wanted a .40 S&W, and I wanted a plastic gun, and I DIDN'T want a Glock. ;) It wasn't the Steyr I really wanted - that one has a full stock and is chambered in 6.5x54 - but it would do.

When I finally got a chance to wring it out, I found that it choked on any ammo that said "Winchester" on it ...failures to extract. It wasn't too happy with Remington-UMC hardball, either. It's the first modern autoloader I had that choked.

I found the information on the new distributor, Steyr Arms, Inc., and sent it to them with a letter detailing the problems I had. That was right after Christmas.

It came back this morning. I called and talked to the gunsmith who worked on it, and asked him what he had done to it. He told me that he had basically replaced the entire insides, including the subframe that had the rails on it. He took the time to answer my questions, and it turns out he's a retired Federal LE firearms trainer/armorer, and a really pleasant guy to talk to.

I went to the range when I finished work for the day, and went through 150 rounds of Winchester Ranger 155 grain JHPs, 60 rounds of Remington-UMC 180 grain hardball, and 31 rounds of Remington 155 grain JHPs. The gun didn't even think about stuttering. :D

I sent them a used gun that was sold five years before they became the distributor, and they fixed it right, and didn't charge me a dime, and they were nice to deal with. It doesn't get much better than that!

I carry an M40 daily.

Already, I have taken some heat at the range from folks reminding me that Steyr was recently sanctioned by the State Department. Only my gun was built & bought long before that happened.

Anyway, I am a fan of the design; so much so that I trust my life to it. What is not to like about a highly reliable Austrian gun with a Tennifer finish and the lowest axis of bore next to a P7?

Glad to know they now back up these fine weapons with service a-la Dillon, Glock, etc.