Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bacon and Broccoli: next steps

-JCN-

How much is a limited beanie baby or first edition Pokémon card worth to me? 

Not very much. I don’t give a crap about those things. 

Just because something is really valuable to a certain subset of people doesn’t mean it’ll be valuable to everyone. 

I feel that way about my coaching. To the right person, it’s invaluable. To someone who isn’t going to embrace their own journey… it’s worthless. To someone who has an ego and doesn’t want to improve… it’s an anathema.

I think it’s an error (IMO) to think that my time has inherent worth to others. But what it does have is inherent worth to myself and my family. 

Very few students look to give back in a relationship. That’s why I don’t teach for money. I give opportunity for students to show they can contribute to a relationship… pretty much nobody picks up on that. 

I try and teach my daughter that what she gives back to a teacher emotionally or (later) to a job or boss or a spouse or a friend is very much part of the responsibility. It’s not just about what they can do for you (IMO). 

She understands even at age 7 that Daddy is here to be there for her, but she’s also tasked with being there for me. She asks how my matches went and the other day she suggested that we pick up my favorite dinner because I had a hard work day. She patted me on the shoulder and smiled as she said it.

It’s not just the opportunities, but the relationships borne out of those opportunities that matter. And that takes work. And effort. And human capital. 

All the opportunities I’ve created for myself and V have accelerated our growth but it’s by no means necessary. Jay Beal did the same thing on a very small budget on his land with his brother. 

And IMO even if you gave everything I have to someone who isn’t thoughtful or curious… they still wouldn’t improve very much. 

That’s the rub. There’s always an excuse for the people looking for excuses and a solution for people looking for solutions.

All the stuff that I’m using to help V train is just to get her there faster. She would have gotten to the same level without me (eventually). This way, she gets there on the most efficient training pathway. And it’s more fun. 

Edited by -JCN-

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More back up equipment

Got an email that more replacement parts are now available for the Alien. 

IMG_4829.thumb.jpeg.f835b80833a8cfdabe8fe47e18558d57.jpegIMG_4830.thumb.jpeg.728fff68bce1e66d28ea107ac5f6f192.jpeg

Basically in addition to the grip parts I ordered before, I can now make a third LO Alien out of my USA Creator gun as a back up. 

I’m also going to try out the lighter trigger match rail. Supposedly the rails wear out over time and my round counts are getting up there. 

The factory Alien trigger weight is around 3-3.5 pounds. 

IMG_4831.thumb.jpeg.df0a859a8cb135281ff54a80bc32ddec.jpeg

I like the way it feels and I don’t find it limiting. But I don’t know what I don’t know. 

For my previous Shadow 2, my SA was around 2 pounds and I really liked that. 

Anything lighter starts getting a little sketchy for me. 

But worth a try for me at 2.5 pounds. I assume that’ll lighten up a touch with use. 

Portable work for dry and live

I have my range but it’s a little far for V. We have memberships to a number of different outdoor ranges that are closer but require setup each time.

In this phase of our training, having the ability to throw up quick barricade or wall simulants for movement training I think is going to be important.

I also think using the speed gates in conjunction with the shot timers will help reduce variables and improve learning.

IMG_4833.thumb.jpeg.9a89e47708aace346f87aee2fd7e1669.jpeg

Here are some of the options available to me. 

I think they are going to work well.

The spiked one is likely to be best in a grassy field and I could potentially use that to train while my daughter is at a playground or something like that.

I think the free standing ones will probably work best indoor and out.  

Having developed the suppressed trainers does open up the freedom to use my range more frequently. 

But the range V got membership to is close to her house and on days I’m working and she’s off, having the ability to throw up a gate and do some quick movement training exercises seems like a good idea. 

Edited by -JCN-