Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger feel - what's typical?

BradNC

I've been using a TP9SFx for 3.5+ years and have a question. Background: it took me a while to recognize that my TP9 specimen is not typical in that I had pretty bad trigger performance at the outset and only after replacing the plunger, trigger bar and striker assembly can I say the trigger is in good shape. Long story on all that so don't ask, but it needed all these things replaced in order to be "tunable" with a lighter striker spring, and/or recoil spring, all to get a reliable trigger, etc. (I also added the Canik flat-trigger in the process.)

My question really is about trigger feel. At this point I'd say my trigger has a "rolling trigger" feel to it. There's a wall after take-up (plunger friction is negligible during take-up), and then going past the wall entails some smooth "creep" (probably a several mm's) before trigger break. So, in my case there's not really a crisp release from the wall, it's more like a crisp release after some smooth motion after the wall. (I don't care about a super-light trigger, but one that's solidly predictable.) Trigger feel is very smooth, and I only use very light selective oiling after cleaning since the pistol does work so well overall. I'm not complaining (maybe that's why I'm still on the TP9SFx), but I'd like to see if a wall-based trigger break is possible or if I have to live with a rolling-break trigger.

Is this typical of your Caniks?  I realize my TP9SFx is an older model (that works great overall, no malfunctions and great accuracy) and things have somewhat evolved, so maybe there's no real insight into what's "normal". What I'm considering is replacing the ejector assembly which couples to the trigger bar because maybe that part has advanced like the trigger bar, plunger and striker had after my specimen was manufactured almost 4 years ago. It's the only part in the trigger train that I have not replaced.

Any ideas/comments/experience/guidance are appreciated. Thanks in advance!