Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations For Width Of Front Fiber Optic Sight

rvbgtr

New to USPSA and have been shooting Production class with Sig P226. Interested in replacing stock front sight with a fiber optic. I've seen lots of recommendations for Dawson's fiber optic, but it comes in two widths, .100, and .125. Any recommendations as to which one is better to use with stock rear sight? Any help would be appreciated.

It's really a personal preferance thing. The common "rule of thumb" is to have the front sight and the light bars on either side the same size ie.. the 1/3 rule. That seems to give the right balance between speed and accuracy.

Try doing a search. I seem to recall Brian giving his personal sight preferance and why in one thread.

You also can increase the width of your rear sight notch, if you happen to like a thicker front sight.

My personal preferance would be to use the .100".

Ray

I'm with Ray on this one.

To me, thinner is better. It seems to lend itself to faster target acquisition.

I run a .090 site on my limited gun, so if the options for you are .100 or .125, I would go with the .100.

You'll love the Dawson FO site. I think they are the cats meow.

Depends some on your eyes. A lot of folks with older eyes prefer a wider front sight so it is easier to see. The important part is to have the rear notch wide enough to get the large light bars on both sides as Sixgun described.

I like the thinner front blade so I'd go 0.100" and then widen the rear notch with a needle file until it was about .150".

Also experiment with the fiber optic color. Red, green, yellow, and orange are all popular. Another trick is to use a marker to adjust the brightness of the dot by coloring over some of the top of the fiber.

Edited by vincent