Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me kit out a pair of Gen5 G17's for USPSA

DacoRoman

On 5/30/2024 at 4:07 AM, Ryan N said:

Sounds like a good plan and in line with what I plan to do.  I've had similar thoughts about LO since I already have a brass magwell. 😉  I too have quite a few gen 3 parts in the parts bin after 20 years of shooting them.  

10-4, it’s good to have someone that is on a parallel track 👍🏼. Good luck with your endeavors! Keep us updated if you can.

I’m getting my Gen 5 set up this week with the new parts and I’m planning on updating the thread, or starting a new one, chronicling my experience with the Gen 3 vs Gen 5… even though the topic may be passé for most Glock owners at this point 😅

1 hour ago, DacoRoman said:

10-4, it’s good to have someone that is on a parallel track 👍🏼. Good luck with your endeavors! Keep us updated if you can.

I’m getting my Gen 5 set up this week with the new parts and I’m planning on updating the thread, or starting a new one, chronicling my experience with the Gen 3 vs Gen 5… even though the topic may be passé for most Glock owners at this point 😅

I'm very interested in following along with that.  If you start a new thread(might be better), please post a link here or PM me.  Thanks.  

On 6/2/2024 at 5:10 PM, Ryan N said:

I'm very interested in following along with that.  If you start a new thread(might be better), please post a link here or PM me.  Thanks.  

You are most welcome and I shall. 

I’m shooting a USPSA match this SA, and I’m planning on using the milled Gen 3 with the 507Comp for the first time - previous matches have been shot with the milled Gen 5 and a 508T.

But I just got the additional 507 Comp today so I’m hoping to mount it on the Gen 5 possibly this week. 

I’m hoping that next week I could start doing some comparisons in practice. 

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update.

I put in a TTI spring/connector set in my G17 gen5 and the trigger feels close enough to my Gen3 with it's Zev V4 Race Connector and competition springs.

I did put 5# striker springs in both guns however after getting some light primer strikes with my Gen3 with Magtech 124's and once with a Speer Lawman 124. 

I have done some drills with both guns, and I think that once I put a 507 Comp optic on the Gen 5 (it was delivered but I haven't had a chance to install it), and also Talon Grip Pros like I have on the Gen 3, the guns will feel similar enough that I won't feel much difference between the two. Both have stock recoil springs btw. 

I ended up not shooting another match until 2 Sundays ago.

But I ran the Gen 3 and it ran great. To remind everyone, or if I didn't mention it,  I'm now running a Gen 5 ejector in my Gen 3 and while the Gen 5 ejects the brass like at twice the distance, the Gen 3 ejection pattern is pretty darn consistent to the 3-4 o'clock with the Gen 5 ejector, and I'll be keeping it in the gun. 

Anyway, I took 3rd in Carry Optics, (and if I play the "Senior" card, as I just turned 55, I took first in Carry Optics :D among the "Seniors").

So my plan now is to definitely just use the Gen 3 for both practice and matches and run that thing until it runs no more, with the Gen 5 as a back up.

Once I actually put the same optic on the Gen 5 and the Talon Grips, I'll do another update regarding the difference between both guns. I'll run some drills too and the one that does best will end up as my #1 with the other as back up.

At this point however, I suspect that there will be no significant differences between the two. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with you setup.  And congrats on your nice placement.  I'm surprised to see your running the stock recoil assemblies, I assume your shooting factory ammo?  Good idea about the Gen5 ejector.

Do you run a Thug Plug or anything in the grip? 

I did end up purchasing a new G17.5 and sent the slide to Battlewerx yesterday to get milled for the 507Comp.  I plan to get a Carver pure tungsten guide rod with a 15lb spring.  I'm considering ponying up for the Shooting Sports Innovations tungsten plug that adds 4.7oz to the grip.  I like a little extra weight because I think it helps stabilize the gun when shooting distance and also strong hand, weak hand.  

As a reminder, my other is a Gen3 34 that is milled for a Holosun 507Comp.  Ghost Rocket connector with heavy trigger spring, OEM striker spring, tungsten extended guide rod and 13# spring.  It's been a great setup and mimics my Limited G34 that's been my "go-to" for USPSA and 3-gun since 2012.  

We're also close in age, I'm 52 so no Senior card for me.... yet.  😉

On 6/26/2024 at 3:27 AM, Ryan N said:

Thanks for sharing your experience with you setup.  And congrats on your nice placement.  I'm surprised to see your running the stock recoil assemblies, I assume your shooting factory ammo?  Good idea about the Gen5 ejector.

Do you run a Thug Plug or anything in the grip? 

I did end up purchasing a new G17.5 and sent the slide to Battlewerx yesterday to get milled for the 507Comp.  I plan to get a Carver pure tungsten guide rod with a 15lb spring.  I'm considering ponying up for the Shooting Sports Innovations tungsten plug that adds 4.7oz to the grip.  I like a little extra weight because I think it helps stabilize the gun when shooting distance and also strong hand, weak hand.  

As a reminder, my other is a Gen3 34 that is milled for a Holosun 507Comp.  Ghost Rocket connector with heavy trigger spring, OEM striker spring, tungsten extended guide rod and 13# spring.  It's been a great setup and mimics my Limited G34 that's been my "go-to" for USPSA and 3-gun since 2012.  

We're also close in age, I'm 52 so no Senior card for me.... yet.  😉

You are most welcome and thank you!

Yes I'm shooting factory ammo. I typically use Blazer 124's or Lawman 124's. I just got done trying 1K of Magtech 124's, and now I'm back to Lawman 124's. Magtech primers were a bit harder and I was getting some light primer strikes using a 4.5# striker spring, which made me go to 5#, which resolved the issue. I've decided to keep the 5# striker spring as I can't tell much of a difference between it and the 4.5# spring, and I'd rather have more reliable ignition. 

I was running a 15# recoil spring in my Gen5  and at around the 3K-4K mark, I got a failure to go into battery malfunction during a match. Prior to this I had noticed that the gun started having a bit of a difficulty returning to battery from a position of slight slide cock..it would sort of want to hang up on the barrel shroud. 

So I put in the stock spring and I realized that if I keep my structure and grip good, and keep my vision f*#kus intact, I have no issues with the stock RSA. Same for my Gen 3. 

I seem to remember hearing Ben Stoeger saying that he runs OEM recoil springs also, and never changing them out until the gun starts failing, at something like the 50+K round mark or something like that. So that also motivated me to just adapt to the stock springs, as I too would rather not change out the recoil springs until I have to :D. 

I  haven't heard of the Thug Plug, is that a weighed Plug? I run a plastic one in there, I forget who made it, but it makes sense what you are saying about getting a heavier one. 

Congratulations on your G17.5!  The Battlewerx cuts seem super solid indeed. 

Thanks for describing the accoutrements that you are considering. It makes sense what you are saying about a heavier gun etc.  I'll look that stuff up.

I was using a Jager steel guide rod with the lighter recoil springs, but I'm intrigued about a heavier tungsten rod. What springs are you using? The one that seemed to go weak on me was an ISMI spring I think. 

Thanks for describing your Gen3 set up as well. It may come in handy if I want to start messing with my Gen3 some more. 

I wouldn't mind rewinding the clock some and relinquishing my senior card, but it's all good! :D 

I just wish I would have gotten into USPSA like a decade or two ago!