Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a CMP gun too heavy for 3 gun?

Guest LarryC

Guest LarryC

I'm looking to purchase an AR15 to use primarily for IPSC 3 gun. Is a CMP/DCM type gun with a HBAR and free floated handguards a good 3 gun choice? The gun I am looking at weighs about 9 1/2 pounds. Is it the ideal rifle, or would a lighter gun be better?

I want an accurate gun that will shoot 1MOA for longer range shots, hence my leaning towards a CMP type gun.

I shot my highpower AR for a couple of years in 3 gun.  I even had the lead weights in it.  The gun weighed 15 pounds!  Talk about fast splits, the front sight hardly moved.  This was before comps were legal in limited.

I can't really tell you if lighter or heavier is better.  That's up to you, I kind of prefer a heavier rifle.  To me, they settle more quickly and "glide" during transitions.  Others like a snappier handling rifle.  The FAL that I've been using is quite heavy and I don't feel disadvantaged in the slightest.

The only things that I don't like about highpower/CMP ARs include 1) you must have a 4 1/2 trigger and 2) you can't have a comp.  

I use my CMP/DCM upper for 3 gun - its a White Oak Precision upper  and RRA 2 stage CMP/DCM trigger in a lower of my own manufacture.  Its heavy - more heavy than ideal, but like so many aspects of equipment in this game, its not a drawback you could not easily shoot around. Besides, if they ecer hold a match around here (area 8) with shots more than 50 yards, I know the DCM upper has more than enough accuracy to make the shot.

If you have the DCM already or can only afford 1 upper right now, buy the DCM (strongly suggest White Oak Precision) and shoot it in 3 gun. You do not "need" a new upper to compete and win. If you want to build the ideal 3 gun upper, you will find plenty of advice here.

Weight is a matter of balance and what you can handle without becoming tired.  Our research group, "The Gang of Four" once built a pin killing upper.  Steel tube handguard, heavy barrel, McArthur comp, it weighed over 14 pounds.  We found that after a few runs we couldn't hold the thing up.

Nine and a half isn't too much, and a rifle accurate enough for DCM work will definitely deliver in an IPSC course.

My DCM service rifle has a 4 lb lead weight in the stock, and 2 1/2 lbs of lead tire weights in the handguard.  I think I'd probably "get the lead out" before shooting it in 3 gun.  I'd also get a larger rear sight than 0.040, but I don't see the heavy barrel as a problem.  

It's a trade off...heavier guns give faster shot recovery, but are harder to run fast with.  9.5 lbs isn't too heavy, if the rifle is balanced well (IMO)

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Good point about sights - I have the interchangeable threaded inserts on my upper and for most of the matches around here, I just take out the insert leaving a huge ghost ring. Every rifle match in these parts have all targets closer than 50 yards.  Anyway, the interchangeable rear is a good feature - it lets you find what will work best for you. I think Bushmaster sells these sights.