Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vv N310 V. Clays

Urbanti

Been loading 3.6g of straight Clays underneath a Precision 230g moly bullet successfully for a "general purpose lighter than hardball but not a mousefart" load.

Now I want to try the same bullet but with VV N310.

Several posters have suggested that VV N310 loads parallel Clays. Can't find 230g lead N310 loads either online with VV website or by searching this forum - apparently the VV N310 guys are shooting 200g LSWC not 230g ball. (I favor 230g lead slugs in my .45s b/c that way all my .45 1911s function across a spectrum of loads without spring changes).

QUESTION: if 3.6g of straight Clays made for a seemingly low pressure load with that bullet, can I try 3.6g of VV N310?

And, would Quickload or other software provide answers to these kinds of questions?

best

Tim

N310 and Clays are very similar in my experience. 3.8gr. of N310 would make Major PF out of my Kimber with that same bullet. I did have to seat pretty deep to get those things to feed though (about 1.230", if I remember.) I'd say 3.6gr. would be a good starting point to try.

I experimented with N310 vs. Clays and found N310 to be a little more consistent in velocity, but not enough to justify the extra cost (nearly double the price of Clays around here.) Clays seems to get more consistent with hotter loads. They both burn fairly clean and recoil feels about the same to me. N310 did work better at pushing 200gr. bullets to Major PF without pressure signs in my gun, but I decided to stick with 230gr. bullets and I'm now using Zero FMJ with 4.1gr. of Clays.